Senior Data Engineer
Data Excellence – Data Excellence /
Employee - Permanent
Hello there. We’re Zopa.
Our diverse team is united in their mission of creating simple, fair and honest financial products that have the customer’s needs at their heart. We’re proud that this dedication is reflected in our excellent rating on TrustPilot.
We’ve always been unapologetically honest with our customers, and value the same in return. Their feedback helps us shape what we build, so we can provide a bank fit for today, and for the future.
We’re not the new kids on the block though - we’ve been a pioneering force in finance for 16 years. In 2005, we built the first ever peer-to-peer (P2P) lending company, giving our customers access to loans built for real-life and intelligent investments backed by cutting-edge tech. In 2020, we launched Zopa Bank, meaning we could offer more – like fixed term savings backed by FSCS protection and a credit card to help customers take control of their finances.
Today, our bank and our P2P business run alongside each other, with the same ethos and the same mission. We’ve lent out over £6 billion and are proud to have made money work better for over half a million people across the UK, whether they were looking to borrow, save or invest.
If you embrace being challenged beyond the norm, aren’t afraid to think differently and are motivated by working somewhere you can really make an impact, you’ll love life here at Zopa. Check out our latest video on culture and Values at Zopa HERE!
As Data Engineers at Zopa, our goal is to democratise the data to empower individuals at all levels in the organisation to make right decisions to drive better customer experience.
We work with bigdata, by leveraging the latest tools and technologies in AWS cloud we are building the scalable, reliable and securable data platform at the enterprise level.
We are looking for a Senior Data Engineer to lead the design and delivery of various data pipelines, ELT processes and data quality solutions related to lakehouse projects. This is a fast-paced dynamic work environment with ever changing needs and we work in agile ways where we ship the products and new features every week.
The Senior Data Engineer is expected to have a strong understanding of big data architecture and best practices, Python and SQL skills in delivering the solutions related to analytical projects within the cloud.
A day in the life
- Liaise with data analysts, data scientists and decision-makers such as product owners and business analysts to gather requirements
- Design, build, refractor and optimise various data pipelines and ELT processes
- Design and implement various data models to ensure the data integrity, ease of data access and for better query performance
- Implement various data quality checks to ensure accuracy, completeness, consistency and reliability of the data
- Provide guidance and mentorship to other members of the team
- You’ll have 4+ years demonstrable experience in data engineering or related domain
- You’ll have robust understanding of Python data structures and algorithms
- You’ll have experience with building custom data pipelines using Python and PySpark
- You’ll have experience with Redshift or Postgres databases and proficient in writing complex SQL queries
- You’ll have experience with different AWS services like Lambda, Glue, S3, Athena, DMS, etc.,
- You’ll have experience with CI/CD tools to deploy the data pipelines
- You’ll have an understanding of software development life cycle and practices such as coding standards, code reviews and version control using Git
- You'll have great interpersonal, relationship building and influencing skills
- You'll have a true passion for project management, execution and getting things done
- You’ll have excellent analytical, problem-solving and communication skills
- You'll be passionate about learning new and cutting-edge technologies!
Bonus points for...
- AWS Certifications –Solution Architect, Developer, Data Analytics or equivalent
- Knowledge about Streaming applications
- Exposure to any BI tools
Flexible working? Yes please!
We’re currently piloting a new flexible working scheme. This means that whether you want to come into our open-plan, riverside London Bridge office or work from the comfort of your own home (or both!), you’ll be able to decide on an approach with your manager, looking at what works best for you, your role and your team.
Not only that – the new model also includes the option of working from abroad for up to 90 days a year!* But no matter where you are, we’ll make sure you’ve got everything you need to thrive, both in your work and home life, from day one.
*Subject to having the right to work in the country of choice
To thrive here, you’ll need to:
Champion our customers. Whatever your role, you’ll be close to our customers. We care passionately about doing the best for them.
Help us make fearless choices. Our environment is fast-paced, agile and open. You’ll solve interesting and challenging problems, and be trusted and empowered to bring your ideas to life.
Walk the talk. Like us, you’ll be honest, stick to your promises and face the tough moments head-on.
Win smarter. You’ll be always on the lookout for a better way of doing things, going beyond ‘good enough’ and welcoming different points of view.
Be in it together. You’ll join an ambitious, diverse and all-round approachable team with a mix of ideas and talents who inspire each other to be better every day.
Zopa is proud to offer a workplace free from discrimination. Diversity of experience, perspectives, and backgrounds leads to great products and unique company culture. We simply can’t expect to empower our customers to better manage their money without challenging the current status quo. Creating the best place for money is no easy task, which is why we need talent from all walks of life.