Operations – Legal
At Zopa, we’re shaping the future of finance.
We offer simple loans and smart investments that help people take control of their finances and do more with their money. In the 12 years we’ve been in business, we’ve helped more than 60,000 people lend over £3 billion to 246,000 UK consumers.
And our journey’s only just beginning. In November 2016 we announced our plans to build a next generation bank so that we can bring a greater range of smart, ethical finance products to even more people.
We are looking for a lawyer who is full of enthusiasm, drive and common sense. You will want to join a young, innovative business and work as part of a small, close knit and agile legal team. This role is right in the middle of the action, where you can solve a wide variety of issues and initiatives that support the continued growth of Zopa. You will also be an important support to the other lawyers in the team. You will have a very varied workload supporting our consumer lending business, our new banking business and also helping with commercial contracts, employment matters, corporate and IP.
The successful candidate will have 3 years+ PQE and will have trained at a leading law firm and either worked there or in-house post qualification. Experience in retail banking, commercial contracts and/or fintech is required. Your attitude to a new challenge is one of the most important factors. Zopa will value your willingness to get stuck in and your desire to learn.
We are looking for a lawyer with some or all of the following areas:
- General commercial contracts drafting and negotiation, including but not limited to services agreements, terms & conditions, NDAs and/or IT/IP agreements.
- Financial services regulation and/or consumer credit
- Corporate transactions, including drafting any shareholder documentation
- Researching and reporting on legal and regulatory updates and developments
- Company secretarial work
- Data protection and GDPR
- Intellectual Property advice, including trademarks
- Drive efficiencies and consistent practices, help build know-how and maintain template and frameworks
- Passion, drive and enthusiasm
- Collaborative approach
- Continued drive to learn and develop
- A natural problem solver
- Ability to anticipate legal issues or risks and to “see around the corner”
- Interested in technological developments
- Strong ability to manage and deliver multiple projects simultaneously
- Excellent communication skills
The successful candidate will come equipped with drafting and research skills, and the ability to recognise issues of strategic, legal or reputational importance. They should be confident in their ability to advise on how these challenges should be resolved, with a mixture of commercial awareness, analytical skills, and up to date knowledge of legal and market developments.
We are committed to equality of opportunity for all staff and applications from individuals are encouraged regardless of age, disability, sex, gender, sexual orientation, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief and marriage and civil partnerships.