Assistant Company Secretary
Legal – Legal /
Employee - Permanent
Hello there. We’re Zopa.
We began our journey in 2005 with the drive to deliver customer-first financial products. Fast forward to 2020, we shifted gears and became a digital bank, leveraging our customer knowledge, money expertise and technical agility to forge ahead. Our diverse team is united by a mission to create simple, fair and honest financial products that have the customers’ needs at their heart.
We’re regularly recognised at industry awards for our game-changing products and are proud to be one of the market leaders in consumer lending in the UK. But our work doesn’t stop there.
After securing £220 million in our 2021 funding round led by SoftBank, we’ve entered the next stage in our journey. So far, we’ve lent out over £8 billion and made money work better for over half a million people across the UK who were looking to borrow or save with us. In less than 2 years after becoming a bank, we hit £2 billion in customer deposits and we’re also a top 5 credit card issuer in the UK. And this is just the beginning.
We’re set on achieving big things with ambitious growth targets to match. This means there's a range of opportunities for you to excel and develop through a career at Zopa, while building better banking products that truly matter to our customers.
If you embrace unconventional challenges, are unafraid to think differently and are driven to make an outsized impact, you’ll thrive here at Zopa. For a closer look at our culture, check out our latest video here. And if you want to join us, have a look at our current open roles!
We are looking for an assistant company secretary, who will also undertake paralegal duties, to join our rapidly expanding and fast paced bank. You will provide a full range of company secretarial services to the business to ensure that the Zopa group companies continue to take a robust approach to corporate compliance and governance. You will deal with a wide range of corporate and commercial matters gaining invaluable experience across all areas of the company.
You will provide a balance of administrative and legal support to both the legal team and business colleagues directly. You will need to be experienced, very organised, and capable of co-ordinating competing priorities across multiple projects and business areas to deliver to tight deadlines. You will be proactive and have a high level of initiative with the ability to work independently.
A day in the life:
- Assist with the preparation for board meetings, board papers and committees for the Zopa group companies; including the collation and production of board packs using an electronic board portal;
- Support the corporate governance framework which underpins the management of the group companies;
- Maintain the various registers of the Zopa group companies;
- Draft and submit necessary Companies House filings;
- Consider and make suggestions for improvements and efficiencies that could be made to the secretarial function to provide optimal support to the business and the boards;
- Aid the legal team (consisting of five lawyers and a trainee) and the business on various legal matters, issues and projects including commercial contract review and negotiations;
- Help to create, maintain and develop the team’s legal know-how and templates; and
- Assist with the management of the operation of the legal team such as helping with work allocation, budget control, document repositories, production of MI, etc.
- Previous experience of working within a corporate secretarial team;
- Company secretarial qualifications an advantage;
- The ability to analyse large amounts of data;
- Attention to detail and care in final product;
- Strong organisational skills and the ability to prioritise competing matters;
- Strong project management skills;
- An ability to work under time pressure on high profile matters;
- A willingness to learn and a determination to develop a better understanding of the legal function and the wider business and its functions; and
- Teamwork and hard work.
Flexible working? Yes please!
Whether you want to come into our open-plan, riverside London Bridge office or work from the comfort of your own home (or both!), you’ll be able to decide on an approach with your manager, looking at what works best for you, your role and your team.
Not only that – you'll also have the option of working from abroad for up to 120 days a year!* But no matter where you are, we’ll make sure you’ve got everything you need to thrive, both in your work and home life, from day one.
*Subject to having the right to work in the country of choice
To thrive here, you’ll need to:
Champion our customers. Whatever your role, you’ll be close to our customers. We care passionately about doing the best for them.
Help us make fearless choices. Our environment is fast-paced, agile and open. You’ll solve interesting and challenging problems, and be trusted and empowered to bring your ideas to life.
Walk the talk. Like us, you’ll be honest, stick to your promises and face the tough moments head-on.
Win smarter. You’ll be always on the lookout for a better way of doing things, going beyond ‘good enough’ and welcoming different points of view.
Be in it together. You’ll join an ambitious, diverse and all-round approachable team with a mix of ideas and talents who inspire each other to be better every day.
Zopa is proud to offer a workplace free from discrimination. Diversity of experience, perspectives, and backgrounds leads to great products and unique company culture. We simply can’t expect to empower our customers to better manage their money without challenging the current status quo. Creating the best place for money is no easy task, which is why we need talent from all walks of life.