Senior Operational Support Manager
Operations – Operations /
Employee - Permanent
Hello there. We’re Zopa.
We began our journey in 2005 with the drive to deliver customer-first financial products. Fast forward to 2020, we shifted gears and became a digital bank, leveraging our customer knowledge, money expertise and technical agility to forge ahead. Our diverse team is united by a mission to create simple, fair and honest financial products that have the customers’ needs at their heart.
We’re regularly recognised at industry awards for our game-changing products and are proud to be one of the market leaders in consumer lending in the UK. But our work doesn’t stop there.
After securing £220 million in our 2021 funding round led by SoftBank, we’ve entered the next stage in our journey. So far, we’ve lent out over £8 billion and made money work better for over half a million people across the UK who were looking to borrow or save with us. In less than 2 years after becoming a bank, we hit £2 billion in customer deposits and we’re also a top 5 credit card issuer in the UK. And this is just the beginning.
We’re set on achieving big things with ambitious growth targets to match. This means there's a range of opportunities for you to excel and develop through a career at Zopa, while building better banking products that truly matter to our customers.
If you embrace unconventional challenges, are unafraid to think differently and are driven to make an outsized impact, you’ll thrive here at Zopa. For a closer look at our culture, check out our latest video here. And if you want to join us, have a look at our current open roles!
Zopa is bringing a range of its non-customer facing processes together in to a new, centralised back-office team. The purpose of this is to drive efficiency and build resilience through cross skilling across a variety of back-office processes.
This Senior Manager role has been created to both manage this team, and to lead ongoing transformation in this space.
You will be accountable for delivering best practice day-to-day process and people management, productivity, and performance across the back-office operation. Leading, managing, and motivating to ensure that service standards and targets are met whilst team morale remains high.
You will work with a wide range of teams and stakeholders to reduce demand coming into the team, improve efficiency, and transform the function over a period of time.
A day in the life:
- Responsible and accountable for the operational performance of the department against relevant service levels and KPIs, ensuring that targets are consistently met
- Ensuring that the team is organised so that it is efficient, and an appropriate number of staff are multi skilled across different processes to provide an appropriate level of resilience
- Engage with forecasting to forward plan capacity at the team and department level. Encompass attendance, retention, all Omni channels managed (Calls, Cases, Queues, Backlogs) and shift management
- Review and interpret management information, performing analysis with a view to predict and proactively improve productivity and quality (Real time MI and Historical Reports). You will need to leverage a mix of dashboards, reports, and potentially manual tracking of queues
- Have regular meetings with your Team Leaders and wider team to make sure that objectives for the day are communicated and understood
- Ensure appropriate team structure/required staff volumes to deliver against SLA’s whilst continually assessing the effectiveness of the team, especially in terms of quality of service, and make any necessary adjustments
- Ensure Team Leaders management routines are conducted: Daily Briefs, Team Meetings, Quality Monitoring and Coaching Volumes, 121 Meetings, 6 Monthly Performance Reviews and Team Engagement Activity
- Monitor and maintain a high level of customer satisfaction as required – CSAT and conduct root cause analysis with Team Leaders and wider business as required
- Become an SME in the regulatory requirements surrounding key processes, ensuring all requirements are met
- Understand the key risks in relation to your processes, ensuring appropriate controls are in place to minimise residual risk. Ensure these are documented and reported on through RCSAs
- Escalate any potential or actual operational risks in a timely and accurate fashion to the Head of Department
- Work cross functionally with other department leaders to ensure that the objectives of the business are being met and the processes are delivering the right outcomes
- Consistently drive improvements and new initiatives within the team
- Build relationships and collaborate with product teams to understand and influence initiatives that will impact your processes, or introduce new processes. Strive to reduce demand coming into the operation.
- Partner with the process team to drive process improvements with the objective of reducing cost through simplification or through automation and reducing operational risk
- Partner with the outsourcing team to actively understand how and when more processes can be set up at the outsourcer, to support growth, resilience, and to maintain a competitive cost base
- Work with the analyst teams to improve the level of MI and analysis that is available for your area.
- Support the implementation of new products, services, and processes to agreed quality and timeframe, whilst ensuring your team are knowledgeable on the latest product and data initiatives and releases
- Experienced in operating in complex business environments and/or regulated sectors and have the personal qualities to develop strong stakeholder relationships
- Strong leadership and management capabilities. Experience in managing a range of complex processes
- Ability to work with different functions to drive transformation – product, analytics, technical, process, intent owners
- Demonstrable success with workflow optimization in a real time, fast paced environment
- Fluid in adapting to and embracing change for themselves and with others
- Proficient with Salesforce (desirable)
- Strong problem-solving skills and an ability to think creatively
- Strong communication skills with the ability to articulate complex issues in a clear manner
- Continuous desire to improve own working practices to establish first class customer support
- Able to operate with a strong sense of urgency and deliver results
- Strong quantitative and analytical skills
- Strong awareness of risk and the importance of controls and escalation
- Terrific prioritization skills to manage high process volume in parallel with project work
- Team player with the desire to try new ideas in order to achieve greater levels of success
Flexible working? Yes please!
Whether you want to come into our open-plan, riverside London Bridge office or work from the comfort of your own home (or both!), you’ll be able to decide on an approach with your manager, looking at what works best for you, your role and your team.
Not only that – you'll also have the option of working from abroad for up to 120 days a year!* But no matter where you are, we’ll make sure you’ve got everything you need to thrive, both in your work and home life, from day one.
*Subject to having the right to work in the country of choice
To thrive here, you’ll need to:
Champion our customers. Whatever your role, you’ll be close to our customers. We care passionately about doing the best for them.
Help us make fearless choices. Our environment is fast-paced, agile and open. You’ll solve interesting and challenging problems, and be trusted and empowered to bring your ideas to life.
Walk the talk. Like us, you’ll be honest, stick to your promises and face the tough moments head-on.
Win smarter. You’ll be always on the lookout for a better way of doing things, going beyond ‘good enough’ and welcoming different points of view.
Be in it together. You’ll join an ambitious, diverse and all-round approachable team with a mix of ideas and talents who inspire each other to be better every day.
Zopa is proud to offer a workplace free from discrimination. Diversity of experience, perspectives, and backgrounds leads to great products and unique company culture. We simply can’t expect to empower our customers to better manage their money without challenging the current status quo. Creating the best place for money is no easy task, which is why we need talent from all walks of life.