Web Developer - Shopfront
Bank Build – Technology
At Zopa, we’re shaping the future of finance.
We offer simple loans and smart investments that help people take control of their finances and do more with their money. In the 12 years we’ve been in business, we’ve helped more than 60,000 people lend over £2 billion to 246,000 UK consumers.
And our journey’s only just beginning. In November 2016 we announced our plans to build a next generation bank so that we can bring a greater range of smart, ethical finance products to even more people.
Who we’re looking for:
We’re looking for two Web Developers to join a brand new team tasked with building a first-class website for Zopa. Together, you’ll be taking our website from where it is today and bring our new online shopfront to life as we launch our new range of bank products to UK consumers.
You’ll be a great Web Developer with a genuine passion for front-end and an interest in the full stack. You’ll love building websites and tinkering with new technologies. We have ideas about what we want to build – it’ll be up to you to help decide how we should build it. This is an opportunity to join a ‘greenfield’ project from day one, prototyping alongside designers while we bring the Zopa brand to life on screen.
We welcome applications from both junior Front-End Developers with more limited experience as well as mid-level and senior candidates. We’re hiring two people initially to make sure there’s a good balance of skills and experience in the team from the start.
How we work at Zopa:
- We work in cross functional two-pizza teams
- We peer review all our code over GitHub
- We have a very active, healthy and friendly attitude towards our code reviews
- We push frequently to production
- We welcome all opportunities to add new tech to our stack
- We are user driven: “In users we trust, all others must bring data”
This is the background we'd like to see on our Web Developer's CV/profile:
- Excellent front-end development skills – HTML5 and CSS/SCSS
- Good understanding of modern techniques such as Responsive Web Design and graceful degradation for older browsers
- Knowledge of React would be great – that’s what many of our Front-End Developers are using
- Knowledge of strategies to improve performance (HTTP caching, language best practices)
- You should understand the importance of testing your code and how it reduces risk in making changes and refactoring
- Solid understanding of version control tools (ideally Git)
- Passion for your work and striving to do things “the right way” (semantics, validity, flexibility, maintainability, etc.)
- An interest in innovation and Fintech
We are committed to equality of opportunity for all staff and applications from individuals are encouraged regardless of age, disability, sex, gender, sexual orientation, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief and marriage and civil partnerships.