Bank Build - Deposits Squad – Engineering
At Zopa, we’re building the best place for money.
We offer simple loans and smart investments that help people take control of their finances and do more with their money. In the 13 years we’ve been in business, we’ve helped more than 60,000 people lend over £3 billion to 246,000 UK consumers.
And our journey’s only just beginning. In November 2016 we announced our plans to build a next generation bank so that we can bring a greater range of smart, ethical finance products to even more people.
This role is based in our new office in Barcelona, working side-by-side with the teams in our London office.
Zopa has now more than 400 people in London, 22 people in Barcelona and growing - we want to double this by the end of the year!
We are building the bank of the future with cutting edge technologies and are looking for Software Developers to build brand new micro-services in Java deployed through Kubernetes in Amazon AWS. Utilising Kafka and Kafka Streams, creating the scalable backbone that powers the growth of the company. On the front-end side, we are using React Js and React native to encourage code reuse and make sure we can give a great experience to both our Android and iOS users from the beginning - definitely not your regular bank!
You will be working in a small, agile and adaptable cross-functional team, built on the Tribes and Squads model, and utilising Kafka and Kafka Streams to build a resilient, scalable backbone that powers the growth of the company. You can expect to interact with stakeholders and key business users daily. We are big believers in a lean philosophy and flexibility in implementation, while aiming to achieve stack consistency and alignment across the board. All of our Java infrastructure is deployed with Docker/Kubernetes when we need to via CI (Jenkins) and a completely automated test suite.
Here is some of the Tech Stack you will be working with: Java 8, Kafka, React, React-Native, Kubernetes, Docker, Jenkins, RabbitMQ, Redis, Babel just to name a few.
These are the essential elements:
- Strong experience in using Java.
- Experience in one or more of Scala, Python or C# is advantageous.
- Strong emphasis on unit testing (plus integration, end-to-end). We are a financial institution and a strong commitment to quality is essential.
- Be happy to talk to key stakeholders on a daily basis and be able to understand and be interested in the business objectives of the company.
- Product-focused engineers - you will be part of a team that is on the front line of our business and you will see the direct impact of your work.
- You feel comfortable in a fast-moving environment and are ambitious about the speed and quality of your code. We ship our code multiple times a week with the impact measured in the result for the customer, not lines of code.
Bonus points for:
- You've worked on large scale distributed systems that have proven scalability and complex topologies.
- Experience with Kafka and/or a streams-based platform (Samza, Storm).
- If you have worked with microservices and message-based architectures in the past (and understand both the pros and cons), it's a massive plus!
What we offer:
- New Office in sunny Barcelona. We are right next to Sants station, a central area of Barcelona
- Help with relocation to Barcelona and assistance with VISA
- Restaurant Card
- Free Fresh fruit + Fresh Orange Juice
- Great coffee and tea
- E-Learning membership
- Company events & Zocial events
- Ping-Pong Table in the Office and Padel Tournament (twice a month)
- Private Health Insurance
- Referral bonus
- Flexible Working
- Transparent and informative weekly team meetings on Friday’s afternoons with drinks
- Working within an award-winning and culturally fantastic Team
- To surround you with a group of like-minded Zopians who operate with passion and integrity
- A genuine promise that everyone is welcome at Zopa –regardless of age, disability, gender, sexual orientation, parental status, race or religion
Projects you could be working on:
- Personal Finance Management feature or system. This might be a new way of verifying income, a budgeting service, or a new API to drive insights for customers. Whatever it is, you will be heavily involved from understanding the space and opportunity all the way to developing the release-ready code and seeing it through to launch and maintenance.
- Building a new Credit Card billing and statement generation engine, a card specific origination pipeline or integrating with third party processing and fraud prevention partners to enable a card that can work seamlessly and securely. Whatever it is, you will be heavily involved from understanding the space and opportunity all the way to developing the release-ready code and seeing it through to launch and maintenance.
- New micro-services: re-writing specific parts of our previous infrastructure into the new micro-services communicating through Kafka.
- Building our own internal services to coordinate how our consumer products (like loans or savings accounts) can manage sending and receiving money. It covers a range of payment channels – Faster Payments, Direct Debits, debit cards to name a few. This comes with plenty of technical challenges to make sure our services are easy to use, flexible enough to work for any product, but allow for operational scale: growth in volumes, growth in the range of products, employing a distributed architecture, and increasing the variety of payment channels with which we want to integrate.
We are committed to equality of opportunity for all staff and applications from individuals are encouraged regardless of age, disability, sex, gender, sexual orientation, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief and marriage and civil partnerships.