Technical Product Lead
Core Services Tribe – Product
We’re empowering people to FeelGood about their money.
We’re been on this journey since 2004, when we built the first ever peer-to-peer lending company to give people access to simpler, better-value loans and investments. When it comes to money, we think everyone deserves a fair deal, so since we launched, we’ve helped hundreds of thousands of customers to take the stress out of money by building our business on honesty, transparency and trust.
Our journey’s always evolving and we’re now launching a bank. But a different type of bank – one that empowers its customers to take control of their finances and FeelGood about their money.
If you embrace being challenged beyond the norm, aren’t afraid to think differently and are motivated by working somewhere you can really make an impact, you’ll love life here at Zopa.
This is a newly created role in our Core Services team which will be responsible for creating a “single view of our customer” for all the product tribes across Zopa. The person in this role will be instrumental in ensuring we continue to provide an unrivalled customer experience.
What’s Core Services?
At Zopa, the Core Services tribe is responsible for building critical pieces of our technology platform. As we launch our banking products, there are a lot of things that make more sense to build once, so all of our teams can be efficient and just build on our platform rather than reinvent the wheel.
We cover a broad range of domains. To highlight a few: we ensure all products can record financial transactions in a consistent way so the whole financial operation of the bank can run effectively; we make it easy for teams to access a range of payment services; we obsess over how to use the best technology out there so customers can get access our products quickly and painlessly.
Today there is a suite of services that relate to the customer. Coordination across different teams is time consuming and it’s hard to know if we are evolving these systems with the appropriate guidance. As we expand into a world where our customers hold multiple products with us at the same time, we need to evolve our services to facilitate a holistic understanding of our customer. Your role will be to synthesise all the different requirements (known and potential) into a clear articulation of what the outcomes should be, then define the strategy for how we will meet them and direct the technical implementation.
There’s lots that can go wrong on the road to getting it right. We’re looking for someone who would relish the challenge of delving into this technically complex domain, whilst protecting us from making costly mistakes.
More specifically, this means:
- Working out how we evolve our understanding of the customer through credit profiling, ID/Financial Crime/Fraud tools, income and affordability assessment using third party tools or open banking
- Owning how our technology at Zopa evolves to support the needs of 'single view of customer'
- Being the primary guardian of our data governance within these services
- Articulating our ambitions and turning them into short and long-term goals, owning a complex (and moving!) roadmap
- Ensuring we have great delivery practices and we can measure what value we bring to the business
- You've a reasonably technical background and will have owned the build and evolution of complex back-end systems
- You'll also be a brilliant problem solver; this is a newly created role and a great challenge for someone who can bring shape and structure to an area that’s continually evolving and still quite early in its maturity
- Hands-on: happy to take ownership for some product delivery
- Able to manage and influence internal stakeholders across product, 2nd line and operations
- Experienced in team leadership
To thrive here, you’ll need to:
Champion our customers. Whatever your role, you’ll be close to our customers. We care passionately about doing the best for them.
Help us make fearless choices. Our environment is fast-paced, agile and open. You’ll solve interesting and challenging problems, and be trusted and empowered to bring your ideas to life.
Walk the talk. Like us, you’ll be honest, stick to your promises and face the tough moments head-on.
Win smarter. You’ll be always on the lookout for a better way of doing things, going beyond ‘good enough’ and welcoming different points of view.
Be in it together. You’ll join an ambitious, diverse and all-round approachable team with a mix of ideas and talents who inspire each other to be better every day.
Zopa is proud to offer a workplace free from discrimination. Diversity of experience, perspectives, and backgrounds leads to great products and unique company culture. We simply can’t expect to empower our customers to better manage their money without challenging the current status quo. Creating the best place for money is no easy task, which is why we need talent from all walks of life.