Site Reliability Engineer
Zopa Reliability Engineering – Zopa Reliability Engineering /
Employee - Permanent
Hello there. We’re Zopa.
Our diverse team is united in their mission of creating simple, fair and honest financial products that have the customer’s needs at their heart. We’re proud that this dedication is reflected in our excellent rating on TrustPilot.
We’ve always been unapologetically honest with our customers, and value the same in return. Their feedback helps us shape what we build, so we can provide a bank fit for today, and for the future.
We’re not the new kids on the block though - we’ve been a pioneering force in finance for 16 years. In 2005, we built the first ever peer-to-peer (P2P) lending company, giving our customers access to loans built for real-life and intelligent investments backed by cutting-edge tech. In 2020, we launched Zopa Bank, meaning we could offer more – like fixed term savings backed by FSCS protection and a credit card to help customers take control of their finances.
We’ve lent out over £6 billion and are proud to have made money work better for over half a million people across the UK, whether they were looking to borrow or save.
If you embrace being challenged beyond the norm, aren’t afraid to think differently and are motivated by working somewhere you can really make an impact, you’ll love life here at Zopa. Check out our latest video on culture and Values at Zopa HERE!
As a Zopa Reliability Engineer our ultimate aim is to help to remove inefficiencies in the way Zopa use (or don’t use) technology to drive value for the business. Automating consistently, helping to design and support the various technology infrastructure to help Zopa grow, while helping to grow the team from a personal and professional point of view.
The Platforms Team is at the core of Zopa and has been created to improve the way we deliver our infrastructure and evolve the Reliability Engineering culture at Zopa. The team is responsible for evolving our infrastructure platforms to be drivable by our development tribes so that they can be more autonomous and agile, finding opportunity to replace BAU tickets with automation and APIs, designing properly reliable services whilst also supporting the security processes that are required in an FCA audited environment. We aim to curate the right selection of technologies, such as cloud providers, container platforms, monitoring, metrics and logging, open-source projects, to achieve the goals on our platform roadmap.
A day in the life:
- Working with our Terraform platform automation strategy
- Work with our tooling team to improve our application release processes and pipelines
- Ensure that the right level of monitoring and alerting is in place
- Plan upgrades to our container platforms to the latest version of Kubernetes and utilising the latest features
- Designing processes and tools that help our developers to take more control of their products and the infrastructure they need
- Work closely with Engineering Managers and developers to ensure that the TOIL is kept to a reasonable level and that we seek opportunities to empower developers to do more
- Participate to the Platform on-call rota
The ideal candidate will have:
- Very good understanding of AWS
- Linux administration skills (CoreOS/FlatcarOS or any Linux in general)
- Experience with linux containers and orchestration (Docker, Kubernetes)
- Good Knowledge of the Hashicorp stack: Terraform, Consul, Vault
- Ability to troubleshoot and tune the performance of computer systems
- Experience with Bash/Zsh/Tcsh shell
- Experience and interest with at least one programming language and the willingness to dabble in others (Go, Ruby, Python)
- Experience in building and maintaining Kafka clusters (mirroring Kafka across multiple datacentres)
Good to have:
Flexible working? Yes please!
Whether you want to come into our open-plan, riverside London Bridge office or work from the comfort of your own home (or both!), you’ll be able to decide on an approach with your manager, looking at what works best for you, your role and your team.
Not only that – you'll also have the option of working from abroad for up to 90 days a year!* But no matter where you are, we’ll make sure you’ve got everything you need to thrive, both in your work and home life, from day one.
*Subject to having the right to work in the country of choice
To thrive here, you’ll need to:
Champion our customers. Whatever your role, you’ll be close to our customers. We care passionately about doing the best for them.
Help us make fearless choices. Our environment is fast-paced, agile and open. You’ll solve interesting and challenging problems, and be trusted and empowered to bring your ideas to life.
Walk the talk. Like us, you’ll be honest, stick to your promises and face the tough moments head-on.
Win smarter. You’ll be always on the lookout for a better way of doing things, going beyond ‘good enough’ and welcoming different points of view.
Be in it together. You’ll join an ambitious, diverse and all-round approachable team with a mix of ideas and talents who inspire each other to be better every day.
Zopa is proud to offer a workplace free from discrimination. Diversity of experience, perspectives, and backgrounds leads to great products and unique company culture. We simply can’t expect to empower our customers to better manage their money without challenging the current status quo. Creating the best place for money is no easy task, which is why we need talent from all walks of life.