Senior Corporate & Commercial Lawyer
Operations – Legal
At Zopa, we’re shaping the future of finance.
We offer simple loans and smart investments that help people take control of their finances and do more with their money. In the 12 years we’ve been in business, we’ve helped more than 60,000 people lend over £3 billion to 246,000 UK consumers.
And our journey’s only just beginning. In November 2016 we announced our plans to build a next generation bank so that we can bring a greater range of smart, ethical finance products to even more people.
If you're a highly skilled lawyer who can deliver innovative solutions to complex legal issues, we've got a superb opportunity for you to take on this new role in a company that continues to break down boundaries.
This role is right in the middle of the action, where you can solve a wide variety of issues and initiatives that lead to the continued growth of Zopa.
The successful candidate will come equipped with drafting and research skills, and the ability to recognise issues of strategic, legal or reputational importance. They should be confident in their ability to advise on how these challenges should be resolved, with a mixture of commercial awareness, analytical skills, and up to date knowledge of legal and market developments.
Lawyers at Zopa need to establish, build, and maintain strong working relationships, gaining the respect of their peers, both internally and externally. This lawyer will become a central point of contact in the business, managing and delivering the communication of internal and external legal advice.
We are looking for a Corporate & Commercial lawyer with extensive experience in one or ideally more of the following areas:
- Corporate transactions, including M&A, IPOs and fundraising
- General commercial contracts drafting and negotiation, including but not limited to services agreements, terms & conditions, NDAs and/or IT/IP agreements.
- Advising the business and Board on a broad range of general company issues in a strategic context
- Working together with the General Counsel to ensure that all aspects of legal risk are identified, covered, and controlled in the implementation of new projects, systems, procedures, and products
- Drive efficiencies and consistent practices, help build know-how and maintain template and frameworks
- As is to be expected in the context of a growing fintech company, the role offers stretch into other areas such as retail banking products, employment law, etc. It is “all hands to the deck”!
What were looking for:
- Passion, drive and enthusiasm
- A strategic outlook, and the ability to take decisions and influence key decision-makers up to board level
- Excellent judgement and analytical skills
- A natural problem solver
- Ability to anticipate legal issues or risks and to “see around the corner”
- Inclusive and open approach
- Interested in technological developments
- Commercially astute
- Open to taking risks and admitting mistakes
- Strong ability to manage and deliver multiple projects simultaneously
- Excellent communication skills
We are committed to equality of opportunity for all staff and applications from individuals are encouraged regardless of age, disability, sex, gender, sexual orientation, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief and marriage and civil partnerships.