Software Engineer (Java/Kotlin)
Engineering – Current Account Engineering /
Employee - Permanent
Hello there. We’re Zopa.
We started our journey back in 2005, building the first ever peer-to-peer lending company. Fast forward to 2020 and we launched Zopa Bank. A bank that listens to what our customers don’t like about finance and does the opposite. We’re redefining what it feels like to work in finance. Our vision for a new era of banking puts people front and centre — we’ve built a business that empowers everyone to aim high, every day, to move finance forward. Find out more about our fantastic offerings at Zopa.com!
We’re incredibly proud of our achievements and none of it would be possible without the amazing team here. It’s not just industry awards we’re winning, we’ve also been named in the top three UK’s Most Loved Workplaces.
If you embrace unconventional challenges, are unafraid to think differently and are driven to make an outsized impact, you’ll thrive here at Zopa, so join us, and make it count. Want to see us in action? Follow us on Instagram @zopalife
This role is an exciting opportunity to work in our new Current Accounts team. We want to transform the Current Accounts space as we have already done with loans, savings, credit cards and car finance, tying together our Zopa ecosystem, with big ambitions targeting over 1m+ active customers in 3 years' time. This role will be crucial to helping us get there so there's big opportunity for some serious career defining impact.
At Zopa, our teams are small, Agile and cross-functional so you can expect to interact with stakeholders and key business users daily. We are big believers in a lean philosophy and flexibility in implementation, while aiming to achieve stack consistency and alignment across the board. As a Software Engineer you will be focused on a building a holistic approach to development, quality, maintainability and production support. Above all, we want team players focused on improving the organisation and the people around them.
Here is some of the Tech Stack you will be working with: Kotlin, Kafka, Kubernetes, Docker, Jenkins, AWS, Aurora Postgres, SQL just to name a few.
- Owning the code, quality and delivery of team initiatives
- Owning delivery of services and features within the team
- Providing operational support for services in production
- Collaborating within a cross-functional team across the SDLC
- Following and improving the teams processes
- Supporting junior members of the team
- You are experienced working with Java or Kotlin.
- You love shipping great products, not just writing superb code.
- An advocate of test-driven development or, even better, behaviour-driven development. A strong commitment to quality is essential.
- Enjoy talking to key stakeholders and understand and show passion for the business objectives of the company.
- You are comfortable with a fair bit of uncertainty, fast change, and love solving hard problems collaboratively.
- You are a team player who thrives working in an honest and friendly working atmosphere. We have a flat hierarchy and give you the opportunity to make a real impact.
Click here to check out what our engineers have to say about our tech stack, what it’s like to work here and what they enjoy most
Flexible working? Yes please!
At Zopa we value flexible ways of working. We understand the benefits of face-to-face collaboration and the importance of a good work life balance. Our teams work in a hybrid manner from our open-plan, riverside London Bridge office and the comfort of their own homes at a frequency that suits the team and the work they do.
Not only that – you'll also have the option of working from abroad for up to 120 days a year!* But no matter where you are, we’ll make sure you’ve got everything you need to thrive, both in your work and home life, from day one.
*Subject to having the right to work in the country of choice
Zopa is proud to offer a workplace free from discrimination. Diversity of experience, perspectives, and backgrounds leads to better products for our customers and a unique company culture for our people. We are made up of nearly 50 nationalities, have a DE&I forum made up of Zopians wanting to make a difference and we are proud of our culture where everyone can bring their full self to work. Our approach to DE&I is reflected in our hiring process so please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustments.