Group Financial Controller
Finance – Finance
At Zopa, we’re shaping the future of finance.
We offer simple loans and smart investments that help people take control of their finances and do more with their money. In the 12 years we’ve been in business, we’ve helped more than 60,000 people lend over £3 billion to 246,000 UK consumers.
And our journey’s only just beginning. In November 2016 we announced our plans to build a next generation bank so that we can bring a greater range of smart, ethical finance products to even more people.
Reporting to the Finance Director, and managing a team of 8-10, the Group Financial Controller will be responsible for financial accounting and regulatory reporting for multiple legal entities across the Zopa Group. The Financial Controller will be someone with a strong technical understanding of Banking standards and regulations, and high levels of drive and energy to support a fast paced and growing business. Zopa would look to the Financial Controller to drive stronger control and efficiency through a combination of process improvements, system improvements, so training/investing in people, is crucial.
- Manage the production of annual statutory financial reporting and collaborate with auditing services to ensure proper compliance with all regulations
- Timely and accurate preparation of all other statutory/regulatory returns in line with IFRS/ VAT/ Tax/ CASS requirements
- Ensure company financial systems are robust, compliant, fit-for-purpose, scalable for future growth, and configured to optimise efficiency (e.g. minimise manual processing)
- Own the monthly close and group company consolidation process every month, including inter-company and intangibles, ensuring the financial position of each legal entity is accurate
- Deliver timely and accurate Balance Sheet/Cash Flow and Client Money reporting and analysis each month
- Support the needs of Board and Risk and Audit Committee with relevant and accurate financial analysis and insight
- Responsible for all areas of tax management, including overseeing VAT returns and capitalising on relief schemes
- Continually improve processes and systems to eliminate errors whilst improving efficiency across the Financial Control function
- Direct responsibility for the financial accounting team, ensuring high standards of accuracy and control are always maintained
- Build/lead/manage a high performing financial control team, with continuous investment in training across the team
- Actively contribute/lead projects as required, representing the requirements of Financial Control and the wider Finance team
- Qualified Accountant with 5+ years PQE (Financial services required, Banking is advantageous)
- Strong technical knowledge (IFRS/VAT/Tax required, CASS is advantageous)
- Advanced understanding of financial systems (Sun and Intellimatch experience is advantageous)
- Advanced numeric/analytical and spreadsheet skills
- Experience building, managing and training teams
- Drive to solve problems and continuously improve processes
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines whilst working accurately with attention to detail
We are committed to equality of opportunity for all staff and applications from individuals are encouraged regardless of age, disability, sex, gender, sexual orientation, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief and marriage and civil partnerships.