Junior Software Engineer
Technology – Software Engineering
Hello there. We’re Zopa the Feel Good Money company.
In 2005 we built the first ever peer-to-peer lending company to give people access to simpler, better-value loans and investments. Since then we’ve helped hundreds of thousands of customers take the stress out of money by building our business on honesty, transparency and trust.
It works so well that we want to give our customers access to other great products and tools, empowering them to better manage their money. That’s why, in December 2018, we launched a different type of bank, allowing us to bring a greater range of smart finance products to even more people.
The team you’ll be joining – the Financial Systems and Integrations squad – is responsible for processing and recording financial transactions from all our banking systems. These mission-critical core systems need to be resilient, scalable and correct. You’ll be building JVM-based applications with a modern tech stack which uses Kafka to stream and process data between systems, shipped into production continuously as Docker containers that are managed with Kubernetes.
You’ll be working in a small, agile team with plenty of opportunities to learn from and exchange knowledge with your colleagues. The team has a flat structure, so you’ll be taking an active role in design and decision making within the team as we look to meet the challenges of building a bank.
We’re looking for Junior Software Developers that are looking to join a forward-thinking collaborative team. Ideally, we’d like you to:
- Have some hands-on experience writing back-end services. If you haven't used the JVM stack, then you’ll be able to learn this when you join us.
- Understand the importance of having a strong commitment to quality in all aspects of your work. Some experience with automated testing (unit testing, TDD and/or BDD) would be preferred.
- Be excited to begin or continue a career in the Fintech sector
- Enjoy reading and learning about software development practices and market trends. Evidence of this in an active GitHub profile would be great but isn’t required.
- Show a willingness to learn from and work with Senior Developers in the team, to help achieve business objectives.
Zopa is proud to offer a workplace free from discrimination. Diversity of experience, perspectives, and backgrounds leads to great products and unique company culture. We simply can’t expect to empower our customers to better manage their money without challenging the current status quo. Creating the best place for money is no easy task, which is why we need talent from all walks of life.