Director of Communications
Branding and Comms – Communication
At Zopa, we’re shaping the future of finance.
We offer simple loans and smart investments that help people take control of their finances and do more with their money. In the 12 years we’ve been in business, we’ve helped more than 60,000 people lend over £3 billion to 246,000 UK consumers.
And our journey’s only just beginning. In November 2016 we announced our plans to build a next generation bank so that we can bring a greater range of smart, ethical finance products to even more people.
The Brand and Marketing team are responsible for building the Zopa brand in a creative and consistent way. Putting customers at the heart of all we do, we create and execute marketing strategies, plans and communications which contribute to making Zopa the recognised ‘best place for money’.
Reporting to the Chief Customer Officer, the Director of Communications will be responsible for leading the communications function for the business. The successful candidate will develop and execute the communication strategy, today this includes Investor Comms, Consumer PR across Lender and Borrower targets, positioning us as an Employer brand within relevant channels and overall social media approach. In the future it may also encompass brand partnerships and ambassador strategy. The Director of Communications will work closely with the lead team and key stakeholders within the business to deliver communications which meet business objectives and build the brand.
The role will have 2 direct reports including a PR Manager and a Social Media manager.
The successful candidate does not need to have experience of working in financial services but must be willing to learn about our products and be passionate about bringing a fairer approach to customers.
On a day to day basis, this means the Director of Communications will be:
- Defining and delivering the overall Communications strategy (including plans for product launches and key events like the Bank launch) in conjunction with the Chief Customer Officer
- Leading the internal Communications team and agency teams
- Creating and leveraging strong relationships with key press and industry figures in order to position Zopa strongly as an authority in the Fintech space
- Creating message tracks and communications which deliver positive, consistent messaging for the brand against each of our target groups
- Responsible for a social media approach which builds Zopa's brand
- Creating and implementing a well structured approach to the Comms function (planning cycles, review and sign off processes etc.)
- Building organisational Comms capability via coaching and development of both direct reports and other key individuals
- Measuring and tracking Comms in order to drive optimisation and a clear understanding of what does and doesn’t work for the business
In order to successfully do this role, we’re expecting the Director of Communications to have the following on their CV:
- A track record of creating and delivering impactful communications strategies across multiple channels
- Experience of leading a communications function within a consumer business including planning cycles, brand campaigns, product campaigns, corporate PR and reactive management of issues
- Experience of leading a social media strategy and plan which drives brand engagement
- Adept at crafting high quality communications
- Experienced at shaping a brand narrative with the press and influencer community
- Experience of working at Exec team / Chair level to shape narratives and response
- Issue management experience
- Experience of tracking and measured comms activity to understand and optimise results
We think the following skills / attributes will be key for success:
- Clear reasoning and communication: you should be able to articulate your ideas clearly to people of different experience, backgrounds and at all levels. You should have excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strategic Thinking: Able to look at the big picture, formulate options and approaches and define actions which contribute to the wider goals
- Influencing: Able to influence compellingly at senior levels and gain buy in
- Highly collaborative: You should be comfortable working with people across the business in a highly collaborative manner – adapting your style where relevant to gain buy-in to ideas.
- Comfortable with ambiguity: Zopa is a fast-growing business which is going through an exciting period of change. The individual coming into this role should be comfortable with some ‘unknowns’ and relish the prospect of shaping the future thinking
- Mindset of constant improvement: you should be passionate about building capability and developing yourself and others. You should be interested in new ideas and ways of doing things across the industry
- Results driven: committed to delivering a great outcome, willing to go the extra mile where needed. Able to work under pressure where needed
This role is great for someone who is excited about the challenge of building a brand which has great foundations (Superbrand status, strong NPS, multiple awards for customer service) but also lots of opportunity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity for all staff and applications from individuals are encouraged regardless of age, disability, sex, gender, sexual orientation, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief and marriage and civil partnerships.