Head of 1st Line Compliance Advisory
Ops Risk and Supplier Management – Ops Risk and Supplier Management /
Employee - Permanent
Hello there. We’re Zopa.
We began our journey in 2005 with the drive to deliver customer-first financial products. Fast forward to 2020, we shifted gears and became a digital bank, leveraging our customer knowledge, money expertise and technical agility to forge ahead. Our diverse team is united by a mission to create simple, fair and honest financial products that have the customers’ needs at their heart.
We’re regularly recognised at industry awards for our game-changing products and are proud to be one of the market leaders in consumer lending in the UK. But our work doesn’t stop there.
After securing £220 million in our 2021 funding round led by SoftBank, we’ve entered the next stage in our journey. So far, we’ve lent out over £8 billion and made money work better for over half a million people across the UK who were looking to borrow or save with us. In less than 2 years after becoming a bank, we hit £2 billion in customer deposits and we’re also a top 5 credit card issuer in the UK. And this is just the beginning.
We’re set on achieving big things with ambitious growth targets to match. This means there's a range of opportunities for you to excel and develop through a career at Zopa, while building better banking products that truly matter to our customers.
If you embrace unconventional challenges, are unafraid to think differently and are driven to make an outsized impact, you’ll thrive here at Zopa. For a closer look at our culture, check out our latest video here. And if you want to join us, have a look at our current open roles!
As part of Zopa’s exciting growth journey we are looking for a Head of 1st Line Compliance Advisory to join us. Reporting to our Head of Non-Financial Risk, you’ll work across our product and operations teams to ensure our products and services deliver good customer outcomes and operate in line with internal polices and external rules, requirements and regulations.
Your time will be roughly evenly split supporting our product teams to launch new products and features alongside overseeing ongoing operation of existing products. If you’re able to balance customer and risk considerations with a desire to get things done, then this role is for you!
A day in the life:
- Advising product teams on customer & compliance considerations and helping them to identify solutions that deliver good outcomes for customers and meet internal and external policies and requirements.
- Providing 1LoD oversight of the implementation and ongoing performance of controls to ensure Zopa’s products are operating in line with internal polices and external rules, requirements and regulations
- Conducting horizon scanning to ensure colleagues are appropriately informed of key regulatory, legislative and industry updates relevant to their responsibilities
- Providing training and support to colleagues to ensure they are appropriately aware of their responsibilities as it relates to internal polices, external rules, requirements and regulations
- Ensuring appropriate and required governance takes place within the product teams, including management information and reporting
- Ensuring the application and ongoing monitoring of minimum standards and embedding of related policies as required by business and regulation changes, across area.
- You’ll have previous compliance experience within financial services, ideally within retail banking / consumer credit.
- You have good knowledge of FCA Principles and Consumer Credit regulations
- You're eloquent, able to explain complex sets of rules / translate regulations into clear language to all levels of staff
- You’re motivated by driving and facilitating change, delivering better outcomes for customers and the business.
- ICA / industry qualifications helpful but not essential
Flexible working? Yes please!
Whether you want to come into our open-plan, riverside London Bridge office or work from the comfort of your own home (or both!), you’ll be able to decide on an approach with your manager, looking at what works best for you, your role and your team.
Not only that – you'll also have the option of working from abroad for up to 120 days a year!* But no matter where you are, we’ll make sure you’ve got everything you need to thrive, both in your work and home life, from day one.
*Subject to having the right to work in the country of choice
To thrive here, you’ll need to:
Champion our customers. Whatever your role, you’ll be close to our customers. We care passionately about doing the best for them.
Help us make fearless choices. Our environment is fast-paced, agile and open. You’ll solve interesting and challenging problems, and be trusted and empowered to bring your ideas to life.
Walk the talk. Like us, you’ll be honest, stick to your promises and face the tough moments head-on.
Win smarter. You’ll be always on the lookout for a better way of doing things, going beyond ‘good enough’ and welcoming different points of view.
Be in it together. You’ll join an ambitious, diverse and all-round approachable team with a mix of ideas and talents who inspire each other to be better every day.
Zopa is proud to offer a workplace free from discrimination. Diversity of experience, perspectives, and backgrounds leads to great products and unique company culture. We simply can’t expect to empower our customers to better manage their money without challenging the current status quo. Creating the best place for money is no easy task, which is why we need talent from all walks of life.