Data Excellence – Data Science
Hello there. We’re Zopa the Feel Good MoneyTM company.
In 2005 we built the first ever peer-to-peer lending company to give people access to simpler, better-value loans and investments. Since then we’ve helped hundreds of thousands of customers take the stress out of money by building our business on honesty, transparency and trust.
It works so well that we want to give our customers access to other great products and tools, empowering them to better manage their money. That’s why, in December 2018, we launched a different type of bank, allowing us to bring a greater range of smart finance products to even more people.
Data scientists at Zopa work on a broad range of topics such as risk modelling, pricing, marketing and operational research. The daily job of a data scientist includes extracting actionable insights from data with statistical analysis, identifying problems and opportunities in the business, proposing new ideas and experiments, developing and deploying machine-learning models and optimization algorithms in production.
Data scientists at Zopa work primarily as part of cross-functional teams known as Tribes, which are autonomous groups with ownership of one of our products, such as personal loans, P2P investments, credit cards, etc. Data scientists interact daily with analysts, product managers and software engineers in their own Tribes.
Data scientists also have close interactions with each other through the functional group known as the Data Excellence Chapter, where we share knowledge and experience on data science technologies and research. You may also help build our AWS analytical infrastructure with data engineers, mentor data analysts, and contribute to our efforts on Data Democratization.
You love data. You are passionate about solving real world problems with data. You have solid knowledge and hands-on skills in data processing, machine learning and statistical analysis.
You are a scientist. Always curious and eager to learn. You have an inquisitive mind to delve under the surface and challenge status quo. You are fearless in innovation, for the good of our customers and the world.
You are a great communicator. You do not shy away from engaging people of different background and you can communicate data science ideas effectively and convincingly.
You are a team player, striving for the success of the team with strong commitment to get the job done.
- Excellent programming skill in Python
- In-depth knowledge and hands-on experience of the PyData stack (e.g. Pandas, Numpy, Scipy, MatPlotLib, Scikit-learn) for analytics/machine learning
- Solid knowledge of statistics (e.g., Monte Carlo, hypothesis testing, confidence intervals, maximum likelihood, bootstrap, Bayesian inference)
- In-depth knowledge and hands-on experience in machine learning algorithms: linear regression, random forest, gradient boosted trees, neural networks, k-means, etc
- Proficiency in SQL
Bonus points for:
- A STEM degree, preferably PhD
- 4+ years of experience in analytics or scientific researches
- Experience of full life-cycle of a data science project, from data collection, EDA, model building to deployment
- Experience in optimization algorithms, deep learning, reinforcement learning
- Experience with AWS services (S3, RedShift, Athena, Glue, SageMaker, etc)
- Domain knowledge in credit risk, data-driven marketing, operational optimization
- Good understanding of best practice in software engineering
- Proficiency in Linux/Unix
- Success in data science competitions
- Contribution to open source projects
Ok, I’m in. What can Zopa offer me?
· A relaxed and informal office overlooking the Thames at London Bridge, full of break out spaces for collaborative working, and of course the obligatory office bean bags, which no one can ever get up from with dignity
· A genuine promise that everyone is welcome at Zopa – regardless of age, disability, gender, sexual orientation, parental status, race or religion
· Transparent and informative weekly team meetings on Friday’s afternoons with drinks
· On site Yoga classes weekly
· A games room with well used ping pong and football tables
· A dedicated room for meditation, relaxation and prayer
· To surround you with a group of like-minded Zopians who operate with passion and integrity
· A tailor-made integration plan to set you up for success and an ongoing focus on your performance and development
· Two paid days per year to volunteer for a good cause of your choice
· Free tea and coffee throughout the day
· Free breakfast every morning
· A competitive compensation and benefits package
· We can’t guarantee it, but we’re always open to a chat about flexible working
We are committed to equality of opportunity for all staff and applications from individuals are encouraged regardless of age, disability, sex, gender, sexual orientation, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief and marriage and civil partnerships.