Product Lead - Investments
Investors Tribe – Product
Hello there. We’re Zopa the Feel Good Money company.
In 2005 we built the first ever peer-to-peer lending company to give people access to simpler, better-value loans and investments. Since then we’ve helped hundreds of thousands of customers take the stress out of money by building our business on honesty, transparency and trust.
It works so well that we want to give our customers access to other great products and tools, empowering them to better manage their money. That’s why, in December 2018, we launched a different type of bank, allowing us to bring a greater range of smart finance products to even more people.
This is an exciting role within Zopa, managing a large cross-functional team and reporting to the P2P CEO, with exposure to the P2P Board.
The role will be responsible for defining, delivering and managing the best P2P investment product, for both existing and future customers. We have 60,000 loyal customers today who have been with us for on average 5 years and we want to continue to grow this customer base, in the right way, to help more people to make their money work harder.
We invented P2P lending in 2005 and we continue to innovate and pave the way for industry. In 2017, we were first major platform to be fully authorised by the FCA and launch an IF-ISA and in early 2018 we started to allow transfers-in of existing ISAs from other providers.
In 2019, we will build on our existing product suite to allow us to serve a wider range of potential customer needs: be that supporting customers to develop a regular investment habit or providing an alternative to a pension draw-down.
You will be responsible for understanding the market, getting to grips with the regulation and diving into customer attitudes and behaviours to improve our existing product experience, including driving operational efficiencies.
We want to deliver products which make people feel good about money. That means a well thought through customer proposition and ongoing management of all aspects of the customer lifecycle.
- Drive the product vision for our P2P investment, and ensure its successful delivery
- Be passionate about customer insight and its application, working closing with our operations teams to truly understand our customers needs and reflect this in the products we build and the messages we use to communicate with them
- Ensure deadlines are met and that team doesn’t lose sight of what the priorities are and what the “bigger picture” looks like
- Identify and manage key stakeholders along the way, bringing the optimum blend of people together and ensuring the right people stay informed across all levels of the business
- Keep a close eye on industry trends, benchmarks, innovation and what the competition is doing, and understand what it all means for Zopa and how we should react
- Grow, lead, develop and motivate high performing cross-functional teams of developers, data scientists, product managers, designers, and marketers to deliver experiences that make people feel good about money
- Embed a data-informed process so your team can make fast good decisions
- Know exactly how product(s) are performing, from both the customer and commercial standpoint, and interrogate key metrics and data to understand what is happening and why
Some essential characteristics:
- Highly analytical and data-driven: You insist on robust results tracking and measurement across the product lifecycle and know that iteration and experimentation is key to success. You can work well with commercially minded people to evaluate product performance and you aren’t intimidated by working with a financial product. You know what to look at to support decision-making and set effective goals.
- Strong in execution: the role requires the strategic nous to identify new opportunities to expand and optimise Zopa’s investment product whilst also owning the end-to-end customer journey. You can identify, quantify, and get buy-in for your team’s proposals, and can motivate your team to implement in the best way possible. This includes knowledge and interest in technology and what it allows. You know the tools and how they should be used (even if you don’t actively use them yourself).
- Communication and team-building skills: The role will require a significant amount of influencing - whether this is to convince the CPO of a new idea or make sure that PR are on top of the latest performance numbers. Additionally, the candidate will be required to assemble ‘fast-hitting SWAT teams’ to implement well in a measurable way. This includes attracting and retaining the best talent from within and outside Zopa for the cross-functional unit.
- Customer champion: You are able to fuse customer insight, brand positioning, technical know-how and market knowledge to create new and improve existing products. You are interested in how customers use the product and seek to gather feedback, and even complaints to help better understand your customers and their needs.
- Culture fit: Results-oriented self-starter with a strong sense of ownership and willingness to go the extra mile to get things done for their team and Zopa. Smart, thorough, low-ego, non-political, pragmatic, collaborative, transparent, motivated, entrepreneurial, commercial, passionate, accountable, and flexible.
- You are passionate about challenging the status quo in financial services and can make decisions in a way that ensures customer and commercial outcomes are aligned.
- You want to understand your product(s) inside out – the commercials and product performance, the market, the customer, and their journey. What will they experience at each stage and what happens “under the hood”. To do that, you rigorously analyse internal and external data and consumer insights to identify opportunities and solve pain-points for our customers.
- You help your teams with understanding Zopa’s strategy and enable them to prioritise holistically. You may even “fill the gaps” when certain holes appear in the team or Zopa at large, because you are conversant in all disciplines (even if you’re not necessarily fluent). You also help them to better understand and consider the impacts of their decisions on the customer, commercials, and risk exposure more naturally.
- You are detail oriented, have an inquisitive mind, and think thoroughly from first principles. You will bring a data driven, hands-on, execution-focused approach to leadership and the ability to motivate and inspire the people working with you.
Bonus points but not required:
- Track record of hiring, developing, and retaining high calibre candidates
- Understanding of regulated industries and how to deliver within this environment
- Experience with consumer financial services