Technology – Software Engineering
At Zopa, we’re shaping the future of finance.
We offer simple loans and smart investments that help people take control of their finances and do more with their money. In the 12 years we’ve been in business, we’ve helped more than 60,000 people lend over £2 billion to 246,000 UK consumers.
And our journey’s only just beginning. In November 2016 we announced our plans to build a next generation bank so that we can bring a greater range of smart, ethical finance products to even more people.
Zopa’s mission is to create a richer life for everyone by making money fair and simple. We do this by building great financial products, like our award-winning personal loans and our hugely popular investment products. These products are underpinned by a business model which means that we win when the customer wins – unlike many other financial products which rely on customers making mistakes or being misinformed to make money.
In 2018 we are going a step further, by building the next generation bank with cutting edge technologies and are looking for talented mid and senior level Java Software Engineers to work on a major rebuild of our technical stack. You can choose to be based either in our riverside London Bridge office or sunny Barcelona!
You will be working in a small, agile and adaptable cross-functional team, built on the Tribes and Squads model, and utilising Kafka and Kafka Streams to build a resilient, scalable backbone that powers the growth of the company. You can expect to interact with stakeholders and key business users daily. We are big believers in a lean philosophy and flexibility in implementation, while aiming to achieve stack consistency and alignment across the board. All of our Java infrastructure is deployed with Docker/Kubernetes when we need to via CI (Jenkins) and a completely automated test suite.
Here is some of the Tech Stack you will be working with: Java 8, Kafka, React, React-Native, Kubernetes, Docker, Jenkins, RabbitMQ, Redis, Babel just to name a few.
- You love shipping great products, not just writing superb code.
- As an engineer, you’re interested in the problem, not just the requirements.
- You feel comfortable in a fast-moving environment and are ambitious about the speed and quality of your code. We ship our code multiple times a week with the impact measured in the result for the customer, not lines of code.
- An advocate of test driven development or, even better, behaviour-driven development. A strong commitment to quality is essential.
- You've worked on large scale distributed software systems that have proven scalability and complex topologies.
- Enjoy talking to key stakeholders and understand and show passion for the business objectives of the company.
- You like to build new products from scratch; many of our products are the first of its kind in the market.
- You are comfortable with a fair bit of uncertainty, fast change, and love solving hard problems collaboratively.
- You are a team player who thrives working in an honest and friendly working atmosphere. We have a flat hierarchy and give you the opportunity to make a real impact.
- Experience with Kafka and/or a streams-based platform (Samza, Storm) is a plus!
Here are some of the Projects you could expect to be working on:
- Building Open Banking products from scratch. This ranges from verifying the income and identity of a customer in a few seconds over assessing credit risk in a new and fairer way to providing savings and lending insights to customers in our app. This is a nascent technology where you have the freedom to create products from scratch, use cutting edge technology and shake up an old industry.
- Personal Finance Management feature or system. This might be a new way of verifying income, a budgeting service, or a new API to drive insights for customers. Whatever it is, you will be heavily involved from understanding the space and opportunity all the way to developing the release-ready code and seeing it through to launch and maintenance.
- Building a new Credit Card billing and statement generation engine, a card specific origination pipeline or integrating with third party processing and fraud prevention partners to enable a card that can work seamlessly and securely. Whatever it is, you will be heavily involved from understanding the space and opportunity all the way to developing the release-ready code and seeing it through to launch and maintenance.
- New micro-services: re-writing specific parts of our previous infrastructure into the new micro-services communicating through Kafka.
- Building our own internal services to coordinate how our consumer products (like loans or savings accounts) can manage sending and receiving money. It covers a range of payment channels – Faster Payments, Direct Debits, debit cards to name a few. This comes with plenty of technical challenges to make sure our services are easy to use, flexible enough to work for any product, but allow for operational scale: growth in volumes, growth in the range of products, employing a distributed architecture, and increasing the variety of payment channels with which we want to integrate.
We are committed to equality of opportunity for all staff and applications from individuals are encouraged regardless of age, disability, sex, gender, sexual orientation, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief and marriage and civil partnerships.