Senior Financial Accountant
Finance – Finance
We’re empowering people to FeelGood about their money.
We’re been on this journey since 2004, when we built the first ever peer-to-peer lending company to give people access to simpler, better-value loans and investments. When it comes to money, we think everyone deserves a fair deal, so since we launched, we’ve helped hundreds of thousands of customers to take the stress out of money by building our business on honesty, transparency and trust.
Our journey’s always evolving and we’re now launching a bank. But a different type of bank – one that empowers its customers to take control of their finances and FeelGood about their money.
If you embrace being challenged beyond the norm, aren’t afraid to think differently and are motivated by working somewhere you can really make an impact, you’ll love life here at Zopa.
We’re looking for a technical Senior Financial Accountant to join our Finance team. Reporting to the Group Financial Controller, you’ll be responsible for key elements of Zopa’s financial accounting and statutory tax reporting.
To be successful in this role you’ll have a good understanding of financial accounting (IFRS) within the banking industry ideally with tax knowledge. You’ll have a clear ability to build effective and influential relationships and a solid grounding across a range of accountancy disciplines.
You'll be part of a impressive Zopa team, who are super collaborative and happy to roll their sleeves up and get involved in whatever needs doing to achieve their goals!
A day in the life:
- Develop and implement technical accounting policies and procedures across relevant financial areas relating to banking and corporate financial reporting
- Develop and maintain financial models for highly technical areas such as EIR, IFRS 16, IFRS2 and hedge accounting
- Own the year end reporting process, ensuring that the wider finance team delivers tasks on time and liaise with external auditors to bring the audit to conclusion
- Support Zopa’s overall tax management, building relationships with tax experts, maintaining up to date knowledge of relevant regulations and capitalising on relief schemes.
- Accurate delivery of month end processes, accounting and controls for relevant Zopa legal entities.
- You’ll be a qualified accountant with a year post qualification experience or recently qualified
- You’ll have ideally trained with the Big 4 and with financial services experience
- You’ll have experience in strengthening financial controls and develop the relevant documentation to demonstrate them to third parties
- You’ll be a team player and show great initiative to research, investigate and provide solutions to problems relating to financial accounting
- You’ll have a robust control orientation and experience providing recommendations on accounting treatments
- You’ll understand bank regulatory reporting and compliance requirements
- Ideally a Tax understanding and appetite to learn more
- Finally, you’ll be energetic, motivated, and have a passion for excellence and innovation in pursuit of success!
To thrive here, you’ll need to:
Champion our customers. Whatever your role, you’ll be close to our customers. We care passionately about doing the best for them.
Help us make fearless choices. Our environment is fast-paced, agile and open. You’ll solve interesting and challenging problems, and be trusted and empowered to bring your ideas to life.
Walk the talk. Like us, you’ll be honest, stick to your promises and face the tough moments head-on.
Win smarter. You’ll be always on the lookout for a better way of doing things, going beyond ‘good enough’ and welcoming different points of view.
Be in it together. You’ll join an ambitious, diverse and all-round approachable team with a mix of ideas and talents who inspire each other to be better every day.
Zopa is proud to offer a workplace free from discrimination. Diversity of experience, perspectives, and backgrounds leads to great products and unique company culture. We simply can’t expect to empower our customers to better manage their money without challenging the current status quo. Creating the best place for money is no easy task, which is why we need talent from all walks of life.