Model Risk Manager
CRO General – Credit & Model Risk /
Employee - Permanent
We’re empowering people to FeelGood about their money.
We’re been on this journey since 2004, when we built the first ever peer-to-peer lending company to give people access to simpler, better-value loans and investments. When it comes to money, we think everyone deserves a fair deal, so since we launched, we’ve helped hundreds of thousands of customers to take the stress out of money by building our business on honesty, transparency and trust.
Our journey’s always evolving, and we’ve just launched a bank. But a different type of bank – one that empowers its customers to take control of their finances and FeelGood about their money.
If you embrace being challenged beyond the norm, aren’t afraid to think differently and are motivated by working somewhere you can really make an impact, you’ll love life here at Zopa.
About the role
As a Model Risk Manager at Zopa, you’d be part of the team that’s responsible for the independent review of models used for credit decisioning for our suite of lending products, namely unsecured personal loans, motor finance and credit cards, finance forecasting, impairment calculations and others.
Your role will require you to find insight in our data, try different statistical techniques and develop innovative approaches to validate that the models developed are optimal.
A day in the life:
- Supporting the risk oversight team (2nd line Risk function) in their work to as risk oversight owners for credit, model, external fraud and capital risk
- Owning the monthly process of reporting the results of model monitoring to the credit and model sub-committee
- Conducting regular model reviews and fulfilling other governance requirements based on internal policies
- Reviewing IFRS9 impairment models and liaising with external auditors on these model reviews
- Reviewing the capital risk MI and forecasts reported at ALCO, the Board and the regulators
About you :
- You'll have experience in an independent model review or model building role
- You'll be competent in the usual statistical techniques that are used for credit decisioning models and have a good knowledge of machine learning techniques
- You'll have experience in programming languages, such as SQL or Python or have the appetite to learn Python, which we use for most of our analytics so you will need to be willing to learn this language
- You'll want to work in an organization where you’ll have a broad role. Unlike many traditional banks, there is scope for you to be involved in many different projects and move between teams easily
- Working in a “customer first” business and team motivates you
- You're an exceptional conceptual thinker and are able to draw insights from data and turn them into actionable recommendations
- You'll hold excellent oral and written communication skills with ability to translate insight into a coherent story that drives action
As a business we have the flexibility and support to work from home, whilst the ongoing COVID 19 pandemic continues.
To thrive here, you’ll need to:
Champion our customers. Whatever your role, you’ll be close to our customers. We care passionately about doing the best for them.
Help us make fearless choices. Our environment is fast-paced, agile and open. You’ll solve interesting and challenging problems, and be trusted and empowered to bring your ideas to life.
Walk the talk. Like us, you’ll be honest, stick to your promises and face the tough moments head-on.
Win smarter. You’ll be always on the lookout for a better way of doing things, going beyond ‘good enough’ and welcoming different points of view.
Be in it together. You’ll join an ambitious, diverse and all-round approachable team with a mix of ideas and talents who inspire each other to be better every day.
Zopa is proud to offer a workplace free from discrimination. Diversity of experience, perspectives, and backgrounds leads to great products and unique company culture. We simply can’t expect to empower our customers to better manage their money without challenging the current status quo. Creating the best place for money is no easy task, which is why we need talent from all walks of life.