Senior Financial Accountant
Operations – Finance
At Zopa, we’re shaping the future of finance.
We offer simple loans and smart investments that help people take control of their finances and do more with their money. In the 12 years we’ve been in business, we’ve helped more than 60,000 people lend over £2 billion to 246,000 UK consumers.
And our journey’s only just beginning. In November 2016 we announced our plans to build a next generation bank so that we can bring a greater range of smart, ethical finance products to even more people.
Reporting to the Group Financial Controller, you will be responsible for key elements of Zopa’s financial accounting and regulatory reporting.
You will have a good understanding of financial accounting within the banking industry, ideally with tax knowledge, plus the ability to build effective and influential relationships and a solid grounding across a range of accountancy disciplines. In addition, a personable, dynamic and energetic personality is crucial, in line with the entrepreneurial spirit of the management team and the organisation.
- Develop and implement technical accounting guidance across relevant financial areas, especially those linked to Zopa’s banking expansion. Priority areas include impairment (IFRS 9), treasury instruments and revenue recognition.
- Own delivery of key elements of Zopa’s internal and external financial reporting, including financial statements, and reporting to Zopa’s regulators.
- Support Zopa’s overall tax management, building relationships with tax experts, maintaining up to date knowledge of relevant regulations and capitalising on relief schemes.
- Accurate delivery of month end processes, accounting and controls for relevant Zopa legal entities.
- Working with legal counsel to manage key financial elements of legal agreements and documentation, including share agreements and intercompany agreements.
Experience & Skills:
- Qualified accountant with financial services experience preferred – either straight from practice or from a similar role in another business
- Strong control orientation and experience providing recommendations on accounting treatments
- Understanding of bank regulatory reporting and compliance requirements
- Ideally a strong Tax understanding
- Good working knowledge of accounting systems
- Ability to handle high levels of pressure and critical decision-making
- High integrity and openness combined with a commitment to good governance
- Energetic, motivated, passion for excellence and innovation in pursuit of success
We are committed to equality of opportunity for all staff and applications from individuals are encouraged regardless of age, disability, sex, gender, sexual orientation, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief and marriage and civil partnerships.