Risk and Compliance Manager - P2P
Operations – Compliance
At Zopa, we’re shaping the future of finance.
We offer simple loans and smart investments that help people take control of their finances and do more with their money. In the 12 years we’ve been in business, we’ve helped more than 60,000 people lend over £3 billion to 246,000 UK consumers.
And our journey’s only just beginning. In November 2016 we announced our plans to build a next generation bank so that we can bring a greater range of smart, ethical finance products to even more people.
Reporting into the CEO, this role will coordinate the risk and compliance framework activities for the peer-to-peer (P2P) business. This is an exciting opportunity to take ownership of the P2P risk and compliance function as the Zopa group companies grow and develop once the new banking business is launched.
The role’s core responsibility is to report on and test the effectiveness of regulatory and operational risks in the P2P business. The role will be responsible for the second line review of the outsourced activities of the P2P business, [with the outsourced provider being another Zopa entity].
- Oversee the compliance programme such that it uses a risk based approach and maintains an appropriate coverage across the business; identification, documentation and assessment of the regulatory, operational and conduct risks associated with the firm’s activities, including the development of new products, business practices and financial promotions
- Supervise the monitoring and testing of regulatory compliance control effectiveness by performing sufficient and representative reviews; monitor the intra-group outsourcing arrangements with Zopa Financial Services Ltd.
- Build strong business partnerships with first line functions to advise and challenge on projects and initiatives across P2P activity where there are operational, regulatory and conduct risks.
- Liaising with other intra-group second line functions (Compliance, MLRO, Legal Operational Risk and Info Sec) to ensure a consistent risk-based approach is achieved
- Coordinate second line approval for the business for the development of new products, business practices and financial promotions for the P2P product, including ISA products and investor-related initiatives .
- Oversee the breaches log to ensure that identified deficiencies and incidents are followed up and where necessary, making recommendations for amendments, including the Client Money breaches log and collaborating with Finance to ensure that any incidents are followed up promptly.
- Report to senior management, the Board/Risk Committee and the regulators where appropriate, on compliance matters, such as regulatory risk assessments, including any changes in regulatory risk, summarising any identified breaches and/or deficiencies and the corrective measures recommended to address them
- Present risk assessments to the Risk Management Committee
- Recommend control enhancements to ensure risks remain within our appetite
- Maintain the regulatory relationships and ensuring the regulators are kept informed of any notifiable events
- You may have been a second or first line Risk and/or Compliance Manager within FCA/PRA regulated retail financial services and have good regulatory knowledge of CCA (CONC), SYSC, CASS and COBS. Ideally you will also have knowledge of ISA regulations.
- You must be able to challenge business products and processes to ensure regulatory compliance and have the ability to manage and influence regulatory and senior management relationships.
- You can communicate well with all staff levels to ensure regulatory knowledge is transferred and applied through your open and inclusive approach. You are comfortable with an agile approach to business change using your skillset to enable business development.
- You are passionate about innovative finance products and have proven ability to work on several projects and under tight deadlines. You are a natural problem solver and have an ability to anticipate regulatory risks.
- You are customer focused and are motivated by positive customer outcomes.
- You will have excellent organisational skills and good working knowledge of Microsoft applications (Word, Excel, Power Point).
We are committed to equality of opportunity for all staff and applications from individuals are encouraged regardless of age, disability, sex, gender, sexual orientation, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief and marriage and civil partnerships.