Technology – Software Engineering
We’re empowering people to FeelGood about their money.
We’re been on this journey since 2004, when we built the first ever peer-to-peer lending company to give people access to simpler, better-value loans and investments. When it comes to money, we think everyone deserves a fair deal, so since we launched, we’ve helped hundreds of thousands of customers to take the stress out of money by building our business on honesty, transparency and trust.
Our journey’s always evolving and we’re now launching a bank. But a different type of bank – one that empowers its customers to take control of their finances and FeelGood about their money.
If you embrace being challenged beyond the norm, aren’t afraid to think differently and are motivated by working somewhere you can really make an impact, you’ll love life here at Zopa.
Job Title: Front End Developer
Location: London Bridge
Start Date: Friday 17th January 2020
Closing Date: Monday 17th February 2020
Are you a hands-on Front-end developer with a passion for creating great customer experiences?
If so, we’d love to tell you more about the opportunity in our UPL team.
In this role you will be building and maintaining fresh user experiences that are at the heart of Zopa’s products. Working with Product Owners, Data Analysts, QAs and other Engineers - we design new and exciting features that make user flows feel as seamless as possible. We are about iterating and improving through data analysis and at our core is always the question of “What is best for our users”.
Our stack is modern (React 16.12+, Cypress, Node 12, Kafka, Docker, Kubernetes) however we constantly evaluate our tech choices and engage in healthy discussion about best practices in frontend. For our existing applications before releasing key features we apply an A/B testing approach to drive user experience and in the near future will be working on a greenfield application that will be used by multiple teams and is very interesting from an architectural perspective.
How we work at Zopa:
- We work in cross functional teams that work together to solve customer problems across London and Barcelona
- We work in sprints and constantly make feature releases. The things you work on will get used
- We value smart people, who are adaptable and understand the need for flexibility
- We peer review all code, and value the sharing of knowledge
- We use the right tool or language for the job, if you can prove better we’ll use that
- We value, conduct and act on user-research and data analysis
- Knowledge of React is beneficial
- Experience with Gatsby is a great advantage to this role
- You should understand the importance of testing your code and how it reduces risk in making changes and refactoring
- You should be pragmatic and realise when a solution is over-engineered as well as knowing when to spend time on creating the right abstraction that allows us to move faster in the long run
- Comfort with the JS tooling landscape is beneficial – being able to use modern tools such as Webpack and Babel is beneficial although having a solid understanding of how tooling can work and being quick on the uptake is key
- Good understanding of semantic HTML, CSS and accessibility is essential
- Solid understanding of version control tools (ideally Git)
- Passion for your work and striving to do things “the right way” (semantics, validity, flexibility, maintainability, etc.)
To thrive here, you’ll need to:
Champion our customers. Whatever your role, you’ll be close to our customers. We care passionately about doing the best for them.
Help us make fearless choices. Our environment is fast-paced, agile and open. You’ll solve interesting and challenging problems, and be trusted and empowered to bring your ideas to life.
Walk the talk. Like us, you’ll be honest, stick to your promises and face the tough moments head-on.
Win smarter. You’ll be always on the lookout for a better way of doing things, going beyond ‘good enough’ and welcoming different points of view.
Be in it together. You’ll join an ambitious, diverse and all-round approachable team with a mix of ideas and talents who inspire each other to be better every day.
Zopa is proud to offer a workplace free from discrimination. Diversity of experience, perspectives, and backgrounds leads to great products and unique company culture. We simply can’t expect to empower our customers to better manage their money without challenging the current status quo. Creating the best place for money is no easy task, which is why we need talent from all walks of life.