Technical Project Manager
Product & Design – Project Management
At Zopa, we’re shaping the future of finance.
We offer simple loans and smart investments that help people take control of their finances and do more with their money. In the 12 years we’ve been in business, we’ve helped more than 60,000 people lend over £2 billion to 246,000 UK consumers.
And our journey’s only just beginning. In November 2016 we announced our plans to build a next generation bank so that we can bring a greater range of smart, ethical finance products to even more people.
A Technical Project Manager at Zopa is there to make sure continuous delivery is possible. The Project Manager is there to remove obstacles that could stop the the agile team from delivering the product, this means sprint planning, and retrospective organisation, as well as bridging the gap between product teams so external stakeholders and other product teams know exactly where the projects are up to.
Zopa’s culture of excellence in technology and use of data has played a major role in our incredible growth. We want to continue strengthening this culture by upgrading our backend platform and our data warehousing and processing capabilities.
Some of the projects our Technical Project Manager will be helping us with are;
- The creation of our new data-warehouse/data-lake combination (AWS, Redshift, Spark Athena), aimed at providing a consolidated, transparent, and easy-to-use repository of most of Zopa’s data, driving our modelling, monitoring, and reporting efforts.
- The migration of our backend platform to a scalable, distributed, event-based, on-the-cloud infrastructure (AWS, Kafka, Java, Python, C#)
The role’s responsibilities include:
- Day-to-day accountability for the successful delivery of the projects
- Facilitating communication and cooperation via stand-ups, presentations, meetings, and workshops
- Working with other Project and Product Managers, and with higher management (CTO, CPO, and Head of Data Science) to gather requirements, create roadmaps, and set the deliverables
- Working with the software developers and data engineers to monitor progress, ensure smooth delivery, and proactively and decisively resolve blocks
- Use of advanced programme delivery methods, including, governance structures, programme planning, budget management
- Acquiring close familiarity with the data processing and warehousing technologies used in Zopa
These are the essential elements, that we think will make a good Technical Project Manager here at Zopa:
- Extensive experience managing technical and data-related projects.
- Clear, persuasive, and effective communication in both technical and non-technical levels.
- Passion for technology – strong knowledge and grasp of technology and what it allows.
- Agile Project Management methodology
- Technical experience - ideally first-hand experience as a developer, engineer, tester, or data scientist
- Knowledge and experience within cloud-based infrastructures (e.g., Amazon Web Services), event-based processing (e.g., Kafka), and proper data warehousing (e.g., enterprise data warehouses with AWS Redshift and data lakes with Spark/AWS Athena).
- Familiarity with data governance, data privacy, and information security concepts
Bonus Points for
We are committed to equality of opportunity for all staff and applications from individuals are encouraged regardless of age, disability, sex, gender, sexual orientation, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief and marriage and civil partnerships.