Zopa Site Reliability Engineer
Technology – Tech Ops
At Zopa, we’re shaping the future of finance.
We offer simple loans and smart investments that help people take control of their finances and do more with their money. In the 12 years we’ve been in business, we’ve helped more than 60,000 people lend over £3 billion to 246,000 UK consumers.
And our journey’s only just beginning. In November 2016 we announced our plans to build a next generation bank so that we can bring a greater range of smart, ethical finance products to even more people.
As a Zopa Reliability Engineer you will help to remove inefficiencies in the way Zopa use (or don’t use) technology to drive value for the business. Automating consistently, helping to design and support the various technology infrastructure to help Zopa grow. Both in our self-hosted datacentres and the cloud.
The Platforms Team has been created to improve the way we deliver our infrastructure and evolve the Reliability Engineering culture at Zopa. The team is responsible for evolving our infrastructure platforms to be drivable by our development tribes so that they can be more autonomous and agile, replacing tickets with APIs, designing properly reliable services whilst also supporting the security processes that are required in an FCA audited environment. We aim to curate the right selection of technologies, such as cloud providers, container platforms, monitoring, metrics and logging, open source projects, to achieve the goals on our platform roadmap.
Day to day, you might be automating infrastructure deployment to our multi cloud environment with terraform, improving our application release processes and pipelines, upgrading our container platforms to the latest version of Kubernetes and utilising the latest features, and designing processes and tools that help our developers to take more control of their products and the infrastructure they need.
- Good knowledge of at least one programming language and the willingness to dabble in others (Go, Ruby, Python, .NET)
- Cloud agnostic mentality
- Exposure to cloud IaaS (AWS, GCP or other relevant)
- Linux administration (CoreOS, Ubuntu)
- Experience with Immutable infrastructure
- Linux containers and orchestration (Docker, Kubernetes, Nomad)
- Good Knowledge on Hashicorp stack
- Shell scripting (Bash, Powershell)
- Good knowledge of building and maintaining Kafka clusters (mirroring Kafka across multiple datacenters)
- Knowledge of event streaming
- Ability to troubleshoot and tune performance
We are committed to equality of opportunity for all staff and applications from individuals are encouraged regardless of age, disability, sex, gender, sexual orientation, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief and marriage and civil partnerships.