Assistant Company Secretary
Operations – Legal
At Zopa, we’re shaping the future of finance.
We offer simple loans and smart investments that help people take control of their finances and do more with their money. In the 12 years we’ve been in business, we’ve helped more than 60,000 people lend over £3 billion to 246,000 UK consumers.
And our journey’s only just beginning. In November 2016 we announced our plans to build a next generation bank so that we can bring a greater range of smart, ethical finance products to even more people.
We are looking for an assistant company secretary, who will also undertake paralegal duties, to join our rapidly expanding and fast paced consumer finance business. You will support a full range of company secretarial services to the business to ensure that the Zopa group companies continue to take a robust approach to corporate compliance and governance. You will deal with a wide range of corporate and commercial matters gaining invaluable experience across all areas of our fintech company. You will support both our peer-to-peer lending business as well as the launch of our new bank.
You will provide a balance of administrative and legal support to the legal team and you will also support your business colleagues directly. You will need to be experienced, very organised, and capable of co-ordinating competing priorities across multiple projects and business areas. You will be proactive and have a high level of initiative with the ability to work independently.
This person will be required to:
- Assistance with the preparation for board meetings and committees for the Zopa group companies;
- Provide support with the preparation of board papers including the collation and production of board packs using electronic board portals;
- Assistance with post-board actions and administration;
- Support the corporate governance framework which underpins the corporate management of the subsidiary structure;
- Maintain the various registers of the Zopa group companies;
- Assist with the necessary Companies House filings;
- Provide support to the legal team (consisting of four lawyers) and the business on various legal matters, issues and projects including commercial contract review and negotiations;
- Help to create, maintain and develop the team’s legal knowhow and templates; and
- Assist with the management of the operation of the legal team such as helping with budget control, document repositories, production of MI, etc.
Education and Experience
- Previous experience of working within a corporate secretarial team;
- Company secretarial qualifications an advantage;
- The ability to analyse large amounts of data;
- Attention to detail and care in final product;
- Strong organisational skills and the ability to prioritise competing matters;
- Strong project management skills;
- An ability to work under time pressure on high profile matters;
- A willingness to learn and a determination to develop a better understanding of the legal function; and
- Teamwork and hard work.
We are committed to equality of opportunity for all staff and applications from individuals are encouraged regardless of age, disability, sex, gender, sexual orientation, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief and marriage and civil partnerships.