Technical Product Owner
Engineering – UPL Engineering /
Employee - Permanent
We’re empowering people to FeelGood about their money.
We’ve been on this journey since 2004, when we built the first ever peer-to-peer lending company to give people access to simpler, better-value loans and investments. When it comes to money, we think everyone deserves a fair deal, so since we launched, we’ve helped hundreds of thousands of customers to take the stress out of money by building our business on honesty, transparency and trust.
Our journey’s always evolving, and we’ve just launched a bank. But a different type of bank – one that empowers its customers to take control of their finances and FeelGood about their money.
If you embrace being challenged beyond the norm, aren’t afraid to think differently and are motivated by working somewhere you can really make an impact, you’ll love life here at Zopa.
We are looking for an experienced Technical Product Owner that has extensive experience working with cross functional teams to solve challenging issues in Zopa’s Credit Originations Tribe. This role will be based in the platform squad responsible for the systems behind Zopa’s flagship unsecured personal loans (UPL) product and will report to the Engineering Manager of Credit Origination.
The UPL Platform squad is answerable to many stakeholders, utilising APIs owned by other teams and providing APIs for others including 3rd party commercial integrations. As such, frequent interaction with many stakeholders and teams will be part of your day to day and non-functional requirements as scalability, reliability and robustness are constantly taken in consideration.
A day in the life:
- Work hand in hand with the other members of the cross functional team to deliver on desired features and new functionalities.
- Define and document functional & non-functional requirements and business processes required to achieve improvements to existing solutions.
- Curate and help prioritise the team’s backlog, balancing new functionality with crucial technical debt.
- Analyse our existing capabilities to identify areas for improvement and understand how the capabilities are being used, feed this insight back into the team to help drive enhancements.
- Work closely with internal teams to communicate our needs and collaboratively solve problems to bring more efficient and flexible solutions while aligned with market trends.
- Advocate for strategic improvements that support the team’s velocity, anticipating changing market conditions that put tactical pressure on the team.
- The team is frequently called upon to deliver features with an emphasis on time to market whilst upholding their service level commitments and staying on top of technical debt. Recent such examples include introducing a capability to classify employment sector risk and integrating Open Banking to automate customer income validation.
- You have proven product management experience in the technology/fintech space and understand how to generate value for your customers and the business within your domain.
- You are sensitive to the software delivery lifecycle (SDLC) and understand that deploying any feature to production is only the beginning. Data capture, monitoring, alerting and performance metrics are the key to measuring the success of what we build.
- You are comfortable challenging and validating assumptions using product discovery and validation techniques as well as data.
- You have great organisational skills to have a clear view on delivery goals, identify skills required and be comfortable with multi-tasking.
- You have proven communication skills and are comfortable interacting with stakeholders, internal teams and end customers to understand their needs as well as communicating progress and potential operational risks.
- You are comfortable presenting ideas and systems clearly and concisely, using supporting diagrams and flow charts where appropriate.
- You are comfortable interpreting data. Being familiar with at least one querying language (e.g. SQL) and/or reading code will be seen as a plus.
- Experience working with cross functional development teams and comfortable with technology (it’d be great if you had a technical background, but it’s not essential).
- Experience working with best practices and agile software development methodologies.
To thrive here, you’ll need to:
Champion our customers. Whatever your role, you’ll be close to our customers. We care passionately about doing the best for them.
Help us make fearless choices. Our environment is fast-paced, agile and open. You’ll solve interesting and challenging problems, and be trusted and empowered to bring your ideas to life.
Walk the talk. Like us, you’ll be honest, stick to your promises and face the tough moments head-on.
Win smarter. You’ll be always on the lookout for a better way of doing things, going beyond ‘good enough’ and welcoming different points of view.
Be in it together. You’ll join an ambitious, diverse and all-round approachable team with a mix of ideas and talents who inspire each other to be better every day.
Zopa is proud to offer a workplace free from discrimination. Diversity of experience, perspectives, and backgrounds leads to great products and unique company culture. We simply can’t expect to empower our customers to better manage their money without challenging the current status quo. Creating the best place for money is no easy task, which is why we need talent from all walks of life.