React Native Mobile Developer (Android and iOS)
Technology – Software Engineering
At Zopa, we’re shaping the future of finance.
We offer simple loans and smart investments that help people take control of their finances and do more with their money. In the 12 years we’ve been in business, we’ve helped more than 60,000 people lend over £3 billion to 246,000 UK consumers.
And our journey’s only just beginning. In November 2016 we announced our plans to build a next generation bank so that we can bring a greater range of smart, ethical finance products to even more people.
Are you a hands-on mobile developer with a passion for building apps that make people feel good?
If so, read on. We are looking for strong mobile developers with experience in delivering mobile apps from conception all the way to release. Every engineer in our teams plays a key role, so you’ll need to be comfortable thinking on your feet, learning new technology, and pushing for impact. But you won’t be doing it alone: you’ll have the support of a cross-functional team around you, including backend engineers, designers, and product people.
About the team
We’re looking for people who are comfortable with a fair bit of uncertainty, fast change, and love solving really hard problems collaboratively. We make decisions fast and move on, trusting data first and using sharp instincts and experience when the data falls short. We communicate and listen with attention, and connect the dots before implementing.
Why what we do matters
Next to health and relationships, a person’s financial situation is central to their well-being and we draw our motivation from making people’s lives better through fair, simple, and easy financial products. Our app will make people feel good about money.
As a developer, you’re interested in the problem, not just the requirements on a ticket. You’re as ambitious about the speed and quality of your work as our plans for new products and launches. You know that your impact is not measured in pristineness of code, but the result for the user. In a team, you’re highly proactive and speak up & challenge when needed in service of speed and quality.
Some of the things you’ll be doing day to day
- Work in a small, cross-functional squad on feelgood money features or making our app more and more robust and delightful
- Make sure we have all the infrastructure in place that we need to build fast and clean
- Learn new skills, whether it's about deploying mobile apps or the latest intricacies of TypeScript
- Collaborate with designers on ways to make the Zopa app truly feelgood
- Deliver fast, semantically clean React Native code
- Experience developing mobile apps, including using native features
- Working knowledge of React (Native preferred, JS fine too) is highly preferred
- Solid understanding of version control tools (ideally Git)
- A passion for your craft and doing things “right” (semantics, validity, maintainability, …)
- An interest in our mission and strong customer focus
- Previous work with backend APIs
Bonus points (but not strict requirement) for:
- Working knowledge of TypeScript, Redux, React Native
- Experience in financial services or a similarly regulated environment
- Previous experience in a small startup or other “lean” environment
- A proved track record of picking up new technologies and delivering things with them quickly
To show us you’re up to the task, we’d like to see links to examples of your work and any code that you’re happy to share.
We are committed to equality of opportunity for all staff and applications from individuals are encouraged regardless of age, disability, sex, gender, sexual orientation, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief and marriage and civil partnerships.