Mobile Developer (React Native)
Technology – Software Engineering
Hello there. We’re Zopa the Feel Good Money company.
In 2005 we built the first ever peer-to-peer lending company to give people access to simpler, better-value loans and investments. Since then we’ve helped hundreds of thousands of customers take the stress out of money by building our business on honesty, transparency and trust.
It works so well that we want to give our customers access to other great products and tools, empowering them to better manage their money. That’s why, in December 2018, we launched a different type of bank, allowing us to bring a greater range of smart finance products to even more people.
Are you a hands-on mobile developer with a passion for building apps that make people feel good?
If so, read on. We are looking for strong mobile developers with experience in delivering iOS and Android mobile apps from conception all the way to release. Every engineer in our teams plays a key role, so you’ll need to be comfortable thinking on your feet, learning new technology, and pushing for impact. But you won’t be doing it alone: you’ll have the support of a cross-functional team around you, including backend engineers, designers, and product people.
About the team
We’re looking for people who are comfortable with a fair bit of uncertainty, fast change, and love solving really hard problems collaboratively. We make decisions fast and move on, trusting data first and using sharp instincts and experience when the data falls short. We communicate and listen with attention, and connect the dots before implementing.
Why what we do matters
Next to health and relationships, a person’s financial situation is central to their well-being and we draw our motivation from making people’s lives better through fair, simple, and easy financial products. Our app will make people feel good about money.
As a developer, you’re interested in the problem, not just the requirements on a ticket. You’re as ambitious about the speed and quality of your work as our plans for new products and launches. You know that your impact is not measured in pristineness of code, but the result for the user. In a team, you’re highly proactive and speak up & challenge when needed in service of speed and quality.
Some of the things you’ll be doing day to day
- Work in a small, cross-functional squad on feelgood money features or making our app more and more robust and delightful
- Make sure we have all the infrastructure in place that we need to build fast and clean
- Learn new skills, whether it's about deploying mobile apps or the latest intricacies of TypeScript
- Collaborate with designers on ways to make the Zopa app truly feelgood
- Deliver fast, semantically clean React Native code
- Experience developing cross-platform mobile apps, including using native features
- Working knowledge of React (Native preferred, JS fine too) is highly preferred
- Solid understanding of version control tools (ideally Git)
- A passion for your craft and doing things “right” (semantics, validity, maintainability, …)
- An interest in our mission and strong customer focus
- Previous work with backend APIs
Bonus points (but not strict requirement) for:
- Working knowledge of TypeScript, Redux, React Native
- Experience in financial services or a similarly regulated environment
- Previous experience in a small startup or other “lean” environment
- A proved track record of picking up new technologies and delivering things with them quickly
To show us you’re up to the task, we’d like to see links to examples of your work and any code that you’re happy to share.