Software Engineer C#/Java
Software Engineering /
Employee - Permanent
We’re empowering people to FeelGood about their money.
We’re been on this journey since 2004, when we built the first ever peer-to-peer lending company to give people access to simpler, better-value loans and investments. When it comes to money, we think everyone deserves a fair deal, so since we launched, we’ve helped hundreds of thousands of customers to take the stress out of money by building our business on honesty, transparency and trust.
Our journey’s always evolving and we’re now launching a bank. But a different type of bank – one that empowers its customers to take control of their finances and FeelGood about their money.
If you embrace being challenged beyond the norm, aren’t afraid to think differently and are motivated by working somewhere you can really make an impact, you’ll love life here at Zopa.
Zopa’s mission is to create a richer life for everyone by making money fair and simple. We do this by building great financial products, like our award-winning personal loans and our hugely popular investment products. These products are underpinned by a business model which means that we win when the customer wins – unlike many other financial products which rely on customers making mistakes or being misinformed to make money.
In 2020, we are going a step further, by building the next generation bank with cutting edge technologies and are looking for talented mid and senior level C# Software Engineers to work on a major rebuild of our technical stack. Some of the projects you could expect be working on:
· Evolving our system which already manages a £1.5 billion loan portfolio, so it can scale both in terms of growth and in product features
· Build the new personal loan management API, enabling new web apps & mobile apps that give power to our customers
· Re-writing parts of our infrastructure into new micro-services (using Kubernetes, .NET Core, Kotlin, Kafka etc.)
On a day to day basis you’ll be:
You will be working in a small, agile and adaptable cross-functional team, built on the Tribes and Squads model. You can expect to interact with stakeholders and key business users daily. We are big believers in a lean philosophy and flexibility in implementation.
Here is some of the Tech Stack you will be working with: C#, .Net Core, Kotlin, Kubernetes, SQL Server, Kafka - just to name a few.
- You love shipping great products, not just writing superb code.
- As an engineer, you’re interested in the problem, not just the requirements.
- You feel comfortable in a fast-moving environment and are ambitious about the speed and quality of your code. We ship our code multiple times a week with the impact measured in the result for the customer, not lines of code.
- An advocate of test driven development or, even better, behaviour-driven development. A strong commitment to quality is essential.
- You've worked on large scale distributed software systems that have proven scalability and complex topologies.
- Enjoy talking to key stakeholders and understand and show passion for the business objectives of the company.
- You like to build new products from scratch; many of our products are the first of its kind in the market.
- You are comfortable with a fair bit of uncertainty, fast change, and love solving hard problems collaboratively.
- You are a team player who thrives working in an honest and friendly working atmosphere. We have a flat hierarchy and give you the opportunity to make a real impact.
- Experience with Kafka and/or a streams-based platform (Samza, Storm) is a plus!
Here are some of the Projects you could expect to be working on
- Take part in the exciting journey as we build & launch our next generation bank this year
- Evolving our system which already manages a £1.5 billion loan portfolio, so it can scale both in terms of growth and in product features
- Build the new personal loan management API from scratch, enabling new web apps & mobile apps that give power to our customers
- Re-writing specific parts of our previous infrastructure into new micro-services (using Kubernetes, .NET Core, Kotlin, Kafka, AWS etc.)
To thrive here, you’ll need to:
Champion our customers. Whatever your role, you’ll be close to our customers. We care passionately about doing the best for them.
Help us make fearless choices. Our environment is fast-paced, agile and open. You’ll solve interesting and challenging problems, and be trusted and empowered to bring your ideas to life.
Walk the talk. Like us, you’ll be honest, stick to your promises and face the tough moments head-on.
Win smarter. You’ll be always on the lookout for a better way of doing things, going beyond ‘good enough’ and welcoming different points of view.
Be in it together. You’ll join an ambitious, diverse and all-round approachable team with a mix of ideas and talents who inspire each other to be better every day.
Zopa is proud to offer a workplace free from discrimination. Diversity of experience, perspectives, and backgrounds leads to great products and unique company culture. We simply can’t expect to empower our customers to better manage their money without challenging the current status quo. Creating the best place for money is no easy task, which is why we need talent from all walks of life.