Computational Designer / Grasshopper Engineer
New Zealand, Auckland /
ZURU Tech – Tech /
ZURU Tech is redefining construction. We believe that the future of housing will be defined by the automation of the construction industry. Today, Zuru Tech is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the goal of automation for housing production worldwide while still having design freedom for clients.
As part of this work, we need computational designers who can develop parametric systems and algorithms. This is to bridge the gap between the designed systems and the automatic generation of designs from our users in our software. This is currently done with Rhino and Grasshopper to develop early-stage models. You would be working with design teams in Auckland and Los Angeles and software teams in Moderna and Milan, Italy. With redesigning the house from the ground up, there are a multitude of different, novel problems to solve. www.zuru.tech
Our goal is to build our NZ engineering hub by attracting the best talent in NZ. This is a great chance to join a highly innovative, well-funded and fast-paced team at an early stage of the project. It’s the best parts of being in a startup, with fewer constraints and a great office.
If you are a talented, creative, and driven person with a proven track record in solving challenging problems then have a look below.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Work with product designers and structural engineers to validate the designs’ ability to become parametric for our software
- Develop the systems and algorithms for the designs so they can automatically adapt to different client designs.
- Work with cross-functional teams and various stakeholders, UX Designers and engineering.
- Develop an intimate knowledge of the Software system that we are building for clients to use to design our houses.
- Work with programmers to take your work to production in C++ and in real life.
Skills & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s Degree in Architecture, Civil/Structural Engineer or Engineering Science
- Strong proficiency in Grasshopper and Rhino as a key user. Feel an irresistible urge to improve the tools and workflow of architects with your ideas and work.
- Good proficiency with vector graphical and photo editing software
- Proactivity, self-starter attitude with excellent project management skills and ability to manage multiple tasks effectively.
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to engage, influence, and inspire partners and stakeholders to drive collaboration and alignment.
ZURU is a disruptive and award-winning company that designs, develops, manufactures, and markets innovative toys and FMCG products. Originally inspired by kids and imaginative play, ZURU is known for its agility, creativity, and new-age manufacturing techniques. The company now has 18 offices globally, with a team of passionate and driven individuals based in the Auckland office in New Zealand.
ZURU Tech is completely changing the way buildings are designed and built. We are disrupting the building industry with a skilled international team, collaborating to create a seamless design to construction experience with our inhouse software through to automated fabrication. In addition, our engineering teams are also providing solutions and ensuring innovation across wider ZURU group (Toys/Edge/Tech).