Director of Product (USA Only - 100% Remote)
Close is a bootstrapped, profitable, 100% remote, ~90 person team of thoughtful individuals who value autonomy and impact. We are out to supercharge sales productivity for startups & SMBs with the most modern, thoughtfully all-in-one, communication-focused CRM.
Our Product team obsesses over delivering great SaaS to serve the 6,000+ business that choose Close to help them grow. Our product development process is inspired by Shape Up. We work in six-week cycles, thinking deeply about the right problems and shipping impactful product on time. Product, Design, and Engineering work collaboratively on the best solution. We are data-driven, learn the why behind problems, focus on use cases, and talk to our customers on every occasion.
We share on The Making of Close, our behind-the-scenes Product & Engineering blog.
About the Role
We're looking for a Director of Product to lead product development at Close – everything from long-term product strategy through ensuring high-quality releases. You’ll oversee our Product Management and Product Design teams and will work closely with our Engineering and customer-facing teams. This role reports to our VP of Product & Engineering and will be a part of our Sr. Leadership team.
- Customer development
- Get to know many of our individual customers and their problems deeply, understand their motivations, business context, and jobs to be done.
- Lead data collection and analysis to better understand the broader trends of our customer base and market.
- Set great processes for our entire Product team to be deeply customer-focused.
- Product Roadmap development
- Working closely with Phil and Leadership, you’ll define product strategy and vision in inline with company strategy and will establish goals and a plan to make it a reality.
- Own product roadmap development, from ideas through delivery. Communicate it well internally and get appropriate feedback.
- Set goals and objectively measure success for specific features as well as the broader product.
- Design product initiatives around business goals, such as increasing NRR.
- Balance iterative improvement of existing product features with new creative ideas to propel Close forward.
- Build and ship high quality Product
- Maintain a high bar for product quality, design, and function to make Close excellent in solving customers’ real problems and in making Close feel like a truly modern SaaS.
- Validate potential feature solutions with customers to give us confidence that our investments will pay off.
- Find ways to delight customers; track and increase NPS.
- Refine our Shape Up-inspired product development process for EPD to collaborate well together in shipping impactful high quality software on-time and in a fun way.
- Maximize return on product investments through in-app onboarding/promotions and by communicating launches externally with customers, in partnership with our marketing and customer success teams.
- Manage the Product Management and Product Design teams
- You’ll have two immediate direct reports – our Group Product Manager and our Product Design Manager, who each manage teams of 3, for an initial team of 8 people.
- Be a great leader, casting vision and motivating the teams toward impactful work. Be a great manager, practicing radical candor, having regular 1:1s, and setting goals and opportunities for growth. Help the team thrive in their crafts.
- Fully own recruitment for hiring our next PM or Design team members, ensuring a very high quality bar.
- Must be located in the United States.
- Have significant experience (3 years minimum) in a product leadership/management role.
- Have a track record (6 years minimum) of shipping high quality successful Product, preferably at a product-focused B2B SaaS company.
- Be comfortable diving deep into analytics and metrics to inform decisions and objectively define success.
- Have a critical eye and always looking to improve an existing product or design to make it better.
- Must be able to occasionally travel to meet customers and for team meetups.
🌏 Why Close?
- Watch our most recent culture video featuring our annual team retreat in Italy
- 100% remote company
- Choose between working 5 days/wk (standard full-time) or 4 days/wk @ 80% pay
- 5 weeks PTO + Winter Holiday Break with 2 additional PTO days for every year with the company
- 1 month paid sabbatical every 5 years
- Paid parental leave
- Medical, Dental, Vision with HSA option (US residents)
- 401k matching at 6% (US residents)
- Dependent care FSA (US residents)
- Contributor to Stripe's climate initiative
- Our story and team 🚀
💚 Our Values
- Build a house you want to live in -- Examine long-term thinking and action
- No BS -- Practice transparency and honesty, especially when it’s hard
- Invest in each other -- Build successful relationships with your coworkers and customers
- Discipline equals freedom -- Keep your word to yourself and others
- Strive for greatness -- Constantly challenge yourself and others
💻 How We Work Together
- Productivity, Quality & Impact: We don’t track hours. We trust you’re an adult and know best how to prioritize, meet your goals and contribute at a high level.
- Asynchronous communication & collaboration: We have team members all over the world. We don’t expect anyone to work untraditional hours, that means our default is async. Most teams have 2-5 hours of internal meetings weekly.
- Appreciation for Deep Work: *During your normal work day, not after a day of meetings*.
- Autonomy & Freedom: Create a work environment that is sustainable for you. We place a high amount of trust and responsibility with our team members from the start.
Working from 22+ countries, we’re a collection of talented humans rich in diverse backgrounds, lifestyles, and cultures. Close has been 100% remote since 2016, creating an intentional workplace around asynchronous communication and collaboration. Every year we meet up somewhere around the world to spend time with one another. These gatherings are an opportunity to strengthen the relationships within our global community.
We practice a mature approach to the workplace -- manage your time effectively, communicate thoughtfully with your teammates and customers, and produce high quality work. We have impressive tenure amongst the team; we stay at Close because we love working with our colleagues, we appreciate the autonomy and we thrive in an environment that challenges us to do our best work.
Unanimously, our favorite value is “Build a house you want to live in.” We make decisions that are rooted in helping our customers become more successful. We care equally about the health of our business and the wellbeing of our people.
Our application process was designed to promote equitable and unbiased hiring practices. We ask a small series of questions that are similar to what would be asked in the first interview. This helps us learn more about you right from the start so please be sure to answer each question thoughtfully. Each application will receive two screens by two different reviewers. Regardless of fit, you will hear back from us letting you know if we'll be moving forward.
While we are excited by all the opportunities that generative AI has unlocked, we do request that you refrain from relying on AI tools when completing an application. We ask these questions because we want to get to know you, your experience, and your communication style. All responses are read closely by multiple humans and any obviously AI generated applications will be disregarded.