Volunteer Crisis & Peer Support Operator (Main Hotline)
United States or Canada /
Trans Lifeline needs your help!
We are a crisis and peer support hotline run by trans people, for trans people. To keep up with the needs of our community, we need trans-identified volunteers who help our callers get through what they are going through. Our operators are trained to listen non-judgmentally and help our callers access resources, provide any help they may require or be a listening ear in a time of need. Our operators are highly encouraged to strive to be culturally competent and empathetic to help our diverse transgender community. We provide continuing training and support to all operators to reach these goals. We value the lived experience of our operators. We ask two hours of talk time a week. Although this position is unpaid, we do offer peer support from our volunteer community, staff, and continuing education through our ongoing training programs.
"Talking to someone like they're a friend: that reminds them that their pain is valid, and that they're so much more than their pain, too." - A hotline operator
- Be trans - We are here for the entire community of people who identify as trans. We find and celebrate the diversity within our community in our callers, volunteers and staff. When applying to volunteer, please answer the questions as thoroughly as possible to help us learn the most about you and your involvement in the community. In the 'full name' section, you can enter the name you use (you do not need to enter your birth name).
- Be 18 or older.
- Live in the US or Canada.
- Have access to a phone - you will be answering calls on your phone.
- Have access to the internet - all our trainings and ongoing communication between our staff and you will be online. You also need to be access the internet to find resources and keep in touch with the Trans Lifeline team when you're on a call.
- Show empathy and compassion.
- Be able to commit 2 hours talk time each week to answer crisis and peer support calls.
- Online training course with self study resources and polls, discussions, live webinars, and individualized mentoring by phone or video conference. Approximately 32 hours total, most self-paced; multiple options to participate in required live webinars and schedule your individual phone mentoring to fit your schedule.
- Ongoing mentorship under an experienced team lead.
- Ongoing training modules through Trans Lifeline and partner organizations.
This is a work from home volunteer position for people in the US & Canada. All training and interviews will be conducted over phone or video chat.
Trans Lifeline would not be possible without the help of hundreds of trans people like you who have showed up to volunteer as crisis operators and support our community.
More information is available on our website.
Trans Lifeline is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization.